Nearly bought one!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Stigg, Jul 26, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Hi all, just joint to let everyone know of my experience at Laguna Ashford on Friday. I saw the Laguna stand at Brands last Sunday and was convinced by the salesman that the Thruxton would be a good second bike so I whent along to their dealership in Asford with a view to buying one but unfortunately after looking around the showroom, by myself, I finally asked the salesman if they had one I could look at to which he replied " if we have one it will be up the top" I told him there wasn't one there and he replied " oh well their not very popular so maybe Maistone might have one" at this point I said ok I'll go elseware then shall I and he stepped away!! I can't believe how they sell anything with that attitude, I have mainly been riding Honda's for the last 40 years and have never been treated like this when trying to buy a new bike. I have complained and they have now said that when Maidstone get a demo they will get down and let me know!!! Don't think I will bother now as God nows what the after sales is like, will stick with Honda I think as I have never had anything but good service with them, Dobles that is.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    welcome, That's a shame, I love the bike and yes maybe it isn't as popular as other models but that is also why I like it. I didn't buy mine from a dealer so cant comment on the sales side but lilleys in ashford and destination triumph in Bramley always seem friendly enough when Ive popped in. I am looking at having a test ride on a Tiger soon so maybe I will see what happens then.

3. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Yes it does look a good bike, I hope your treated better when you have your test ride, mind you that won't be hard, good luck and don't go to Laguna Ashford!!!!!

4. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I really love the Thruxton , maybe their not everyones cup of tea , but for me they look like a proper old school motorbike , the real deal . If I had one , I'd have to wear all the proper 60's looking kit , make it as noisy as possible & I'd take a little bottle of old oil everywhere to chuck down on the floor before I left lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Dodge I doubt if you would need the oil, based on their sales being very old school I bet the bike will do that on its own!!!!!!!!

6. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    nooo , don't say that , it's got the same engine as in mine ha ha

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I resemble that remark! The only things my thruxton leaks is charisma and sex appeal!! Oh yeah baby!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Totally agree Crispey they are a great looking bike, shame about the sales people.

9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Then all you will need is an old reg number of the 3 letters, 3 numbers and a suffix letter to make the excess noise you are making perfectly legal ... ish ... just ... perhaps ... maybe ... maybe not! :eek::):cool::D:p
    Ah .... the 60s - leaded petrol, tyres of dubious gripology, green oil (Duckhams Q20/50 anyone?), mini skirts, flares and strange but good chemically induced music!! :cool::cool:

10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Reminiscing! And all without spellcheck! Me smartarse! :p And nobody likes them!! :eek:

If ever I get like Ringo ... peace and love, peace and love ... o_O:oops: ... then please feel free to dispose of me in an appropriate manner!! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Stigg
    I see you're in Surrey you've obviously tried lilleys in ashford middx or destination triumph near guildford

12. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Crispy, that's my next port of call when I can be bothered, or the dealer in Croydon.

13. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I hope you find a decent dealers , it would be a real shame to end up buying something other than a Triumph because of a poor customer service . My local dealers are a bit lame but I really wanted a Triumph so looked elsewhere ,but I guess if you're buying new or a relying on a back up service from the garage where you buy it from then it is kind of important . I always buy second hand & do everything myself so its not an issue but its not that way for everyone

• Like Like x 1
  14. stanj83

stanj83 New Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Tunbridge Wells
    I haven't been to the Ashford branch so can't comment on that shop but I recently took a Bonnie for a test ride from Laguna Maidstone and the service was first class. Was chatting to a chap called Gary for ages about the Triumph classics range, clearly some of them are enthusiastic about the bikes they sell and others need a kick up the backside! Fingers crossed you get a go on the Thruxton and have a better experience with dealers in the future. Let us know how it goes as I'm also contemplating buying one fairly soon.

15. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    Pidcock Triumph are a nice bunch, nothing seems to much trouble for them

16. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    +1 on jack lilleys and destination triumph both dealers are well worth a visit

17. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Quick update, popped into Carl Rosner in Croydon and they could not have been more helpful! Test rode a Street Triple R and bought an RX! Lovely bike and very very good service from Brett Davies. Pick it up on the 3rd and really looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    What happened with the thruxton :-(

19. Stigg

Stigg New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Surrey
    Couldn't find one and as I'm used to sportsbikes the street triple seemed to fit the bill better and when I rode one it was great fun!! Also it's a bit lighter as I'm getting on a bit now!!!!

20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I suppose they're chalk and cheese really, you might have found the thruxton was a bit underpowered