Navigation On A Budget

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by SteveXFR, May 11, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    I'm looking at options for navigation on a budget and wondering what the pros and cons are for phone and quadlock (with vibration damper) or Beeline Moto.
    These seem like the cheapest worthwhile options.

2. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    I loved my iPhone/quadlock w/ vibration damper so much I bought a mount for my wife's bike just in case I wanted to ride her's. I watched a few YouTube videos on the Beeline Moto and did like it. That minimalistic look certainly is more visually appealing to me. But I just have more functionality with my phone mounted on the handlebars. With Waze I get up to date traffic (and police) notifications as well as simple music control and call connectivity with the Ruroc w/Shockwave audio. So I guess for me it came down to function over fashion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I won a Beeline Moto in a competition and love the fact that it's so unobtrusive. It's easy to use and the route planning mapping has been improved. I also like to be disconnected from the outside world when I ride my bike - it's part of the pleasure - so like the fact that I cannot see phone notifications etc and I don't want to listen to music or answer calls so that's also not a consideration for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    That's some good points. I also like to be cut off from the world.
    with the Beeline can you programme exact routes so you can take in nice twisty detours or do you just programme a destination point and it decides the route?

5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    You can programme whatever route you like just as in Google maps and it usually gives you a fast / fun option to choose once planned. If you just want to explore it has a compass mode where it just points in the direction of wherever you'd like to end up so you can proceed in generally the right sort of direction.

You can also import GPX routes, but I have never tried that so have no idea how easy that is.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    That sounds ideal. What's the bad points? There must be some

7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    If you plot a waypoint, it wants to take you to the centre of that place and can keep trying to turn you back there for a while if you ignore it - once you are aware of this you can carry on by to your destination but I did end up with a bit of a mystery tour round a town that I had just plotted to go via as Beeline wants you to go to the centre, and then on to the next waypoint. Easy enough once you know that is what it will do. You could out in northings / eastings I suppose of that exact waypoint rather than the place name but I now use the place name but bear in mind that Beeline will want to find the centre of it so just bypass it myself if needed.

It's also obviously fairly small, not sure what your eyesight is like - mine is fine but would think it could be tricky to view if it were poor at closer vision perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    I've found Beeline to be good for rural rides, but I'm not sure that it would be the best solution for finding a particular front door in a town or city, where I think I'd prefer navigating by the audio instructions provided by a conventional satnav app.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I am using an outdoor smartphone (shock resistent and waterproof) with a big accu (8.500 mAh) and the offline app "SYGIC". YOu only need to start your GNSS-System like GPS or so and thats it. In comparison to Google Maps you need no data plan. The cost for the app are affordable (one time payment)! I am using it on every national and international tour.

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I enjoyed my Beeline - it looks good on the bike , sort of traditional shape and unobtrusive unlike a smart phone stuck on a quad-lock mount (which I also have).
    It can be easy to miss a turning until you get used to it and it is quite small - about at the limit of my eyesight without glasses.
    Mine also has stopped working now, it just won't charge and it's well outside of the warranty period! :mad:

11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #11 Eldon, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    My mate has a quadlock and its a rock solid dependable mounting system even at speed and wheelies etc.
    He has a Samsung s22 ultra and running a Calimoto subscription it hasn't failed to satisfy so far with good routes and days out ;)

12. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I use an old WiFi only smartphone (Samsung S7) on a Quadlock without vibration mount as I don't care if the camera gets damaged. I power from a Hella USB if a long trip. I have downloaded offline Google maps covering the UK. This has worked really well for me, I set the route while able to connect to WiFi. Potentially could create a hotspot from my current phone and get traffic updates, but I am not that bothered about that.

13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Steve, I can let you have a Garmin Zumo 220 motorcycle sat nav for £40 plus postage, it is a dedicated motorcycle unit, shockproof and waterproof, it is in the original box with manual, it has the charging lead, it also has a handlebar mount, you will need a USB lead to permanently wire it power. I use the Triumph sat nav and go pro unit that works via the dash so no use for it now, the car has a built in unit so no use there as well. PM me if interested.

14. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    Thanks for the offer. It's a very reasonable price.
    My Beeline arrived this morning so I'll give that a bash and see how lost I get tomorrow. I've plotted a route around Dorset, hopefully I don't end up in Orkney

• Like Like x 2
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
  16. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I am also tempted by a Beeline but currently use my Google Pixel on a Quadlock mount, usually with Google Maps and no vibration damper.

@SteveXFR I will interested to see how you get on. :cool:

17. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    @Geoff Butler I'll report back after tomorrow's ride around Dorset. Unless I end up lost in Mongolia

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    I have a Garmin satnav in my van for when I have to go somewhere in a city. When on a bike, I don't go near any cities. As a former town planner, I have worked with maps and plans all my life, and am very happy with using a map on my rural rides.

19. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    I tried out the Beeline Moto this morning. If you're looking for the most efficient satnav I don't think this is the right device but for someone like me who rides for an adventure and doesn't mind the odd wrong turn, it's ideal. Where its difficult is where you've got two junctions together, you get no warning that after the first one, there's another immediately after but even that you soon get used to. The fun rote setting wouldn't work for superbike riders due to the amount of unclassified roads but if you're not looking to ride fast, it's fun. I really enjoyed the fun route on my Bonneville. Having said that, one 20 mile section of road was absolutely brilliant, superbike riders would have loved it!
    Anyway, here's a pic from the ride of my bike in front of the Cerne Abbas Giant and his enormous chalk tool

• Like Like x 2
  20. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    Maybe the pic will upload this time

20220522_134642.jpg

20220522_134642.jpg

• Like Like x 4