My Tiger Did A Wee On The Floor

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Munchen, Nov 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    The other morning I found a puddle of coolant under my bike and though nothing much of it. The engine is running fairly well so I figured it was just a bit of overflow from the expansion tank and topped up.

I had in mind to check it out today and thought I'd just need to drain and fill with a fresh coolant/water mix. However, I saw that puddle again and an pretty obvious leak which I traced up to the head.

Gutted. I don't want to spend hundreds on this bike because I only bought it as a winter hack. The gasket kit alone is €230!

So, I'd just like a bit of advice please on how difficult it is to remove the engine. I plan to take it to my friendly mechanic for repair and in doing so should save me a few quid because it saves him a bit of time. Also means I don't worry about him bashing the tank about, connecting the wrong cables, trapping hoses, losing the odd screw/bolt etc.

I would like to keep hold of this old boiler, especially as it's done such low mileage. I reckon I could get a good few years out of it if I get it sorted.

Tiger_Coolant_Leak1.jpg

IMG-0218.JPG

2. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    How handy are you with spanner’s? If you are going to remove the engine then you could probably replace the head gasket and save yourself a few quid. I thought I’d need a gasket set for my 955 but the only gaskets I needed were the head gasket, clutch cover gasket, throttle body gasket and a couple of o rings for the oil pipe at the back of the head. I followed the Haynes manual and although it looked daunting it’s actually quite straightforward. You are going to have to take the tank etc off anyway to get the engine out so just taking the head off saves a lot of time. Give it some thought!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    I probably do need a bit more time to consider the options. I'm OK with most simple servicing tasks but I don't think I fully understand engine timing. Seeing a photo earlier where a couple of camshafts had been taken off (I assume my engine has twin cams) I got a bit nervous about the thought of doing that myself.

Just reading through the Triumph manual now but another problem I have is not having the space to work and my neighbours already disapprove of me stripping my bikes down outside the apartment block.

I'll figure it out tomorrow. Thanks for the replies :)

4. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    I was apprehensive at first but just followed the Haynes manual. It’s likely to have twin cams which looks scary but it’s not that bad.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Thanks Fourbears. How did you reseal the cylinder liners? I thought these were super-tightly pressed in to the chambers or have I got it completely wrong? Just read through the manual and I reckon I could do it if all the non-reusable parts are in the head gasket set.

6. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Mine didn’t move so I didn’t have to take them out and reseal them. Done almost 1000 miles now and no problems. Looking at a lot of posts elsewhere on the internet it seems that it’s rare to have to reseal them. Others may be able to help on that as I can only go by my engine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Try some finely ground pepper ! It's worked for me on a split car radiator ! If it starts to leak again you can add more pepper, this is an old "bush" mechanic's remedy, which can be permanent . My car ran fine no overheating issues or leaking for 3 years . Sold it like that and new owner was told, he put a V8 in place of the 4•1 litre 6 cylinder, and he had no problems !

8. Munchen

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Being as i needed to brush the snow off my car this morning, I'm not too disappointed about not using the bike today. :D

The combination of tightening the head bolts down a bit and chucking some radweld or pepper in is definitely most likely to help as a short-term bodge, thanks for the suggestions.

• Like Like x 1