My Run Roon Ireland

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by MrOrange, Jul 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Hi Peeps, just been for a wee jaunt around the Emerald Isle for 4 days, thought I'd share my adventure, folks seemed to appreciate my last Scatland Run Roon.

[​IMG]
    Catching the 7:30 ferry out of Stranraer, meant a 5:30 start from home and a damp drizzly ride to the ferry, not much fun but the bakery in Stranraer is open from about 6:00 so we always grab a great sausage sarnie before boarding.
    [​IMG]
    Strapped down in the bowels of the ferry, with all the HGV's.

Day 1 was spent riding the Northern Ireland coast road around to Portrush and then down to Derry. Before meandering o the Southern Irish roads north !!!! Seems weird to head north into Southern Ireland!!!. Stopped in a wee place called Carrickgart for the night, great wee B&B.
    [​IMG]
    The gun is at Downings, not far from Carrickgart, before going for something to eat at the 'Singing Pub', nice wee place in the middle of nowhere, but jam packed, guess I'm not the only one who uses trip advisor !!! 240 miles, weather mostly wet, bit pissed off with the rain by this stage.

[​IMG]

DAY 2 was then spent riding south along the Wild Atlantic Way. A signposted route along Irelands Atlantic coast, didn't do every road, it really does take you along the coast, so we skipped some bits but mostly stayed on the WAW. Road would have been a belter if it was dry.
    [​IMG]
    Stopped off for a wee bit of Irelands finest. Never drink Guiness at home, but it's much nicer on tap in Ireland, think they just send the dregs over here !!!! Not many pictures, because it was raining most of the day, was ready to turn for home at lunchtime. Another 240 mile day.

DAY 3 was a lot better weather wise, actually got to enjoy riding and stopping off at some nice places. Rode from Belmullet down through Galway and then onto Mullingar. This was the best day, weather turned nice and the roads were great. Still followed the WAW to Galway before heading up the motorway. Filtering through Galway City was fun, thank god I have a nice set of loud pipes and an air horn !!!

[​IMG]
    Ashleigh falls, north of Galway.

[​IMG]
    This is the bridge where the photo below was taken, John Wayne in The Quiet Man. Bet he's well chuffed to have had his photo taken in the same place as me :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a great diner we found in Athlone after our blast up the motorway. Mostly chosen cos I could park the bike right out front and keep an eye on it, with all the gear. Another 240 miles.

DAY 4. Started well, weather was actually dry and the N52 from Mullingar to Ardee is a belter. If you do Ireland, sqeeze it in, great on a cruiser.
    [​IMG]
    This was a lovely little beach we found on the south coast, the sole highlight of that coast. Think the road was the Mourne coast road, you'll definitely mourn the decision to come along it. Crap for bikes and the surface was atrocious, truly the worst I have ever encountered.
    [​IMG]
    On Strangford Ferry, wee open ferries are always nice, unless stuck next to a stinking tractor and diesel tank.

Day 4 was another 240 miles including the run home from the ferry, home for 11:00.

So all told, close on 1000 miles in 4 days, the wife with 2 slipped disks, lots of rain - but still had a great time. Missus wanted to get back on the bike the day after !!! So can't be that bad. Bit of a struggle for her getting on the bike, but once on she was OK for 50~60 mile stints.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Well used to the rain, but does get you down a bit, especially when the roads your on are good and you just want to get on and enjoy. Road surfaces in Ireland are generally quite poor, so that and wet and Metz marathon tyres, not a great combo. :D

A tiger 800 or 1200 and a set of decent wet tyres like Angel GT's, would have been spot on!!!

Been looking at 800's since I got back :cool: (to replace KTM, not the cruiser).

3. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Your leading the way with these trips, I have planned a 4 day trip to the peak district with the wife in August.

It will be our first trip of any distance together on the America, she is well up for it but I do hope the weather is at least half decent. Really looking forward to riding snake pass.

Shame you did not get the weather you deserved for the effort you put in but it still looked an interesting journey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks for posting. Good write up. Pity about the weather.

5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I admire your tenacity, riding in all that rain is not my idea of fun. Good write up though and some nice pics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Once the ferry is booked and the baby-sitters arranged, you don't have much choice.

Rather be on the bike in the rain, than sat at home wishing you'd gone :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Topaz garage on N2 going north out of Ardee - superb hot sandwiches (sausage and egg - yummy!) and coffee.:):):cool:
    We used to fill our wagons up with diesel on our way from Dublin to the North, 'cos it worked out cheaper. Free coffee and a sandwich every time we went in. Brilliant!! Just the ticket after an hour or so's drive from Dublin, at about 06.30/07.00 hrs - a fill up for both truck and driver. Lovely people there.
    I'd have told you about it if I'd known you were going there, Mr.O! Ah well, next time.:oops:
    That was actually the last run I did to Ireland - tipped at Craigavon and back via Belfast and Cairnryan. Taken ill whilst parked up at Scotch Corner for the night. Ambulance jobby and a night in Darlington hospital, including free industrial quantities of morphine.:) Took me two days to come back down again after that lot!!:cool::cool: Good job I wasn't on the Dublin - Liverpool overnight ferry or they'd have had to turn back or get me a ride in a helicopter!!:eek:
    Almost four years ago and still not sorted!:(

• Like Like x 1