My Pipes Rattling

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by d-basser, Jul 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    Hey all

My bonnie has developed a rattle recently and I've managed to narrow it down to my right silencer. They are tors fitted to an 04 bonneville. Tapping the silencer or shaking the bike gives a metal on metal sounding rattle. The silencer isn't loose so I don't think it is rattling off anything on the bike. Looking down the pipe the internal muffling does look like it could have dropped slightly (looks a tad off centre) so I wonder if this is the cause.

Suppose what I'm asking is:
    1. Do you reckon this sounds like a likely cause for the noise?
    2. Is there anyway to fix it (short of a new silencer)?
    3. Is it something I should worry about or is it just a noise I should ignore for now?

Cheers chaps

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Are the Tors silencers secured with the rear foot rests as per OEM silencers ? If so it could be the rubber mounting, that just wants replacing or tightening.
    The clips from pipe to silencers can also become loose due to heat expansion and shrinkage.
    Check those two areas first.

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Failing that it may be internal corrosion as Old Father Time catches up with the baffles and packing. If so, there is not much you can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. d-basser

d-basser Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Glasgow
    They are all tight so it isn't those. If it is corrosion am I alright ignoring it for now