My new Storm!

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by DJH1, Dec 11, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Hi all,
    Just thought I'd share a picky of my '13 Thunderbird Storm.:biggrin:
    Only had it a couple of months and (as I've only just past my bike test at the age of 38) haven't done many miles with it as yet.
    With thanks to Beowolf for the custom radiator cover. The service from them was great (Thanks Carol!):upyeah:. I told them what I wanted, sent them the artwork and within a couple of weeks, it's on the bike and (in my opinion), looks great!:biggrin:
    Storm on drive.jpg

I'm thinking of changing the exhausts to the louder, shorter ones but I can't decide if I like the look of the shorter pipes. I want the extra bass but prefer the longer (standard) pipes to look at. I'll run it as it is for a while and see how I go I think.

Storm on drive.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum, great looking machine you have there. The Thunderbird Storm is quite a large powerful bike for a first bike so please take it easy.

3. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks Richard.
    Yeah, I hadn't really planned to buy a bike. Wandered into the local dealer one Sunday, chatting to the salesman about instructors in the area etc and then saw the Storm....and fell in love!
    Within a week I'd booked my CBT and the rest is now history.:upyeah:
    I know the Storm is not your typical starter bike but so far it seems easier to ride than the Suzuki that I took my test on (I think it was a CBF600). It feels more planted and stable (and more responsive!). You're quite right though, it needs treating with respect.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Its always worth considering additional training with the bike, I found the police bike safe course helpful and informative.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. That is a damn fine looking machine. I would endorse Richards suggestion.

6. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Nice bike.

Do take it very easy a cruiser handles very very different from a standard CB

Think twice about louder pipes, OK for a short while but the constant drone does become waring on a long run.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup very nice set of wheels! Take it easy and think about what Richard H says.

8. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    That's a tidy looking bike and I like the radiator cover :upyeah:

I think I'm going to re-iterate what others have said. It's a big bike for a first ride so take care out there and look for further training.

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum from a late starter - passed my test at the age of 56. Sound advice from ColLamb and Richard H as usual - take it easy, it's not the best time of year!
    The Bonneville is probably an easier bike to start on but just take your time and go at your own pace.

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    #10 DJH1, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Yeah, thanks all, I take all your advice on board. I will probably look into Bikesafe next year - nothing available in this area until at least April by the looks of it.
    However, I would say I am being pretty cautious on the bike. As it's a weekend toy, I am picking my riding days very carefully at the moment - no wet or frosty mornings or rain if I can help it! Having said that, I did go out yesterday for about 60 miles and spent probably 30 of those sat behind something (lorry or tractor) as with the strong winds on open flat Fenland and mainly single carriageways with oncoming traffic, I wasn't taking any chances overtaking too much! Might be a bit dull for some but as it's very much still a novelty at the moment, it was great just to get out on it!

• Like Like x 1