My First "oooohhhhh Shhh*ttt!" Moment.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    After 8 months and nearly 1300 miles, had my first code brown moment while riding into work tonight.

I was riding on the America on the A43 in Northampton (3 lane, dual carriageway) in lane 3 when a HGV from Poland pulled across without indication during my overtake, causing me to brake hard and swerve heading towards the crash barrier :scream: and how the f*ck I kept her upright on the gravel and avoided any damage I don't know, cause it wasn't skill...dumb luck I guess. Anyway, he drove on regardless and after managing to get off the carriageway I got to work.

Having spent the last few hours to reflect on it, think it has hit home how vulnerable I am on 2 wheels. Don't get me wrong, I got a cruiser because I'm no Rossi and enjoy travelling at 40mph just as much as 140mph but it has knocked my confidence a bit. I suppose the knowledge that had I made contact with the HGV or the central reservation barrier it would have been nasty :skull:.

Just needed to ramble to get it off my chest.....

P.S. If anybody interested in a lightly discoloured pair of Kevlar jeans, PM me :p

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire

3. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Had the verysame thing happen to me on the A14 both on the bike and in my 4x4 both times left hookers east European lorries. If the T**TS can't see a f***ing big 4x4 we have no chance on a bike.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I ride with the attitude that EVERYBODY is out to kill me. o_O
    Just because you may think that they should have seen you doesn’t mean they’ve actually looked.
    You’ve survived JD, just chalk it up to experience and be vigilant mate. :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    That's why I have ridden agile responsive bikes for 50 years. Cause shite happens. No substitute to good brakes and handling when the shite hits the fan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    They're easy enough to spot and avoid like the plague, I never spend even a moment alongside them, hang back then blast through and put some distance between us.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Scary Shit mate, im always weary of left hookers , Keep a lookout at Number plates when passing Trucks and give them a wide berth. : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yep they are everywhere and don't all come from Poland,
    my method is asses them and when happy blast past as quickly as possible. The number of people I see in cars who pull out to overtake a truck do it real slow and then when past it accelerate WTF is that about?

9. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    And don’t indicate, just pull out :mad: then indicate to pull back in! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Wow, glad you're in one piece, albeit a few pounds lighter.

Having been riding for just over a year it's been a scary revelation just how many cocks there are on the road, seems 80% of them will try to impede your progress or simply deny your existence. When I'm prime minster every new driver will be forced to ride a bike for a week, maybe then they'll appreciate how vulnerable bikers are and also experience just how massively shite our (Greater London) road surfaces are.

If I don't get round to it whilst PM, I'll just achieve fark all, forge some expenses, shag my secretary, have an affair, do some shady deals with the Saudi's to line my future pockets and get paid £50,000 to do after dinner speaking slots and I'm a celebrity get me outta here of course

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Not been riding that long, take the expierence as a school day one. Yes it's his fault for not looking properly, but next time, you come across a similar situation, you'll know to do a double check for sideways movement, and also you'll be lining up for a speedy pass, minimising the time spent in the 'danger zone'.

I do this in the car, never mind on the bike. Unless I can get past and free space in front of HGV's (Foreign/Irish?UK) I ain't going to make the pass. If it's single carriageway, and a foreign plate, stick yourself all the way across to the furthest right hand side of the oncoming lane. Maintain the greatest distance between you and possible hazards at all times.

If you haven't done so, get a copy of the police Roadcraft book ISBN 978-0-11-341143-6. It's a good read. IAM's without the hi-viz wankers and only £13.99 :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    great having access to a wide range of benzodiazepines to choose from

That what I was doing (got told that nugget during my training), hung back, nice clear patch in front and gunned it. I must say, when he pulled across, it wasn't a gentle cut like most lorries but quite a sharp one, that's what caught me off guard, wasn't sure if her was serving to avoid an obstacle, but no, just being a cznt.....

this bugger was deffo an EU PL plate - number was P O 7X884

that's what she said!

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WOODYDEL

WOODYDEL Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Got nothin to do with riding on the wrong side of the road?:p Just kidding.

Here in the states I make it my job to remain visible and be ready and able to jog and evade. I ride the center lines a lot out where they can see me in the mirrors and oncoming traffic has no doubt of my existence. I watch some other riders staying towards the middle of the lane following traffic. Someone making a turn between oncoming cars can't see you there.

Passing is always full on and quick.

I remember some of the worst evades were with my wife on board back in 1975. I was so glad I taught her to sit neutral and not try to steer the bike.

I'm still here and my relatives are scratching their heads wondering why I take "chances" like I do riding a motorcycle.

For me the "scary" stuff makes me feel more alive.

15. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    As a Brit but having spent more time Continental driving than in the UK. I have a perspective on this:

In the US you ride on the right side of the road, here in the UK we ride on the correct side of the road.

History is with us, but not that it matters on 2 wheels ;)

As i have not a few family members who are truckers, and all of them are also bikers, There is an issue of visibility. The old adage is if you can see them, they can see you. Look in the side mirrors to check if you can see their eyes. Same as when riding in parade and the biker in front. Otherwise assume they can't and give a wide berth.

Also there are certain car drivers to avoid.

Here in the UK Toyota Prius drivers are top of the list, Dozy P*!!0cks. Though i sometimes wonder if Merc, BMW and Audis have working indicators (turn signals).

16. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Judd Dredd:
    I am glad that you were able to cope well with this dicey situation and that nothing else happened.

I have the impression that we face the following problem in biking. Our society is becoming more and more selfish and is only concerned about himself and his advantage. Of course, this also occurs in road traffic when someone changes lanes according to the motto: "Oops, now I'm coming and I determine everything around me and of course have right of way". - In addition, here in Austria, driving license training can be started at the age of 16. That means theory training, a few driving lessons at the driving school and then 3,000 km with a member of the family who has a driving license. In this way, a possibly completely inexperienced driver's license holder teaches his supposed knowledge to a novice driver who knows nothing at all. At the age of 17, one can take the test and, if successful, drive alone, or with up to 125 cc bikes. From the age of 24, the cubic capacity restriction for motorcycles is lifted for young drivers. Therefore, I have the impression that since the introduction of this system, the challenges in road traffic have increased exponentially.
    Since I am on the road every day at least 130 km on 2 or 4 wheels I experience some "highlights" in traffic. On average 1x per week some slob wants to "kill" me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Luxury!! (ref Python)