My Experience With Shorai Lithium Iron Battery...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Daytona1200Express, Feb 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daytona1200Express

Daytona1200Express Active Member

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    I believed all the hype...called SHORAI, left a message, no response, naturally. I am ignored by the retailer who sold it to me.

My motorcycle will not start with this techno-wonder battery.

YES---held in clutch while turning over.
    YES---choke was on all the way.
    YES---started attempt for 5 seconds, waited 30 seconds between reattempts.
    YES---left lights on for 30 seconds before first attempt to start
    YES---my 3 year old YUASA I was trying to replace started my bike...

This SHORAI battery does NOT work! $156.00 and I have a paperweight!

My 3 old Yuasa starts my bike first time! Cranks faster too.

If there is something I am doing wrong to get this thing to work---please let me know. But so far, I am not impressed. I am NOT happy right now!

I cannot get a straight answer if a NOCO Genius5 will SAFELY charge one of these batteries...does anyone here know?

Thank you for your patience, very upset at the moment.

-D12E

2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    supposed to be charged new? Or you have to top up the charge?

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    What voltage is in the Lithium battery?
    They discharge very quick in the cold

Lithium batteries need regular charge so you need to ride the bike regularly to maintain the charge
    The good thing is, Lithium are very good at recovering from low voltage, put it on a lithium charger - NOT a normal charger as the pulse function above 15 volt will destroy it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    I tried 3 times to start my bike with this battery, and it only turned the engine, but it would not fire. I put my 3 year old Yuasa in, and she fired up first time.

I am charging this junk right now with my NOCO Genius5...battery has NO juice. I guess it was sent to me nearly dead, so that is nice. I pay almost $160.00 for a battery and it is dead on arrival. 45 mins and counting on my charger, still in the red.

How old is this battery? It is supposed to be charged in box----plug and play. No date codes on the battery, box, nothing. I looked at every surface looking for age...could have been made yesterday, or 3 years ago. I have no way of knowing.

As long as I've had it, it has been in my warm house, out of the cold these "superior" batteries are so fragile against.

I am not impressed, nor am I happy. It obviously wasn't tested or pre-charged before being sent my way.

I'll change my tune when it has finished charging in a week and actually fires over my Daytona 1200.

I'll give the SHORAI this much, it is LIGHT!

SHORAI got back with me, as did the seller. They each blame each-other.

There is your punch line.

*bu-dum---tsh!*

5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Not sure about the NOCO Genius5 but my NOCO has a specific Lithium Mode with little LED to show its in correct mode.
    If its same as this one yes it will not sure if there were earlier versions:
    https://no.co/genius5

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Hi, no technical help but I assume in this day and age you purchased it with a credit card. If so contact them and they should hopefully refund you or get a replacement sorted, but I think I would go with a refund. In the Uk we have the Sales of Goods Act but as you paid in Dollars not sure where you are but credit card companies should have the same power worldwide, hope you get it sorted.

7. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    Yes, the Genius5 has a SPECIFIC mode for LITHIUM batteries, and once connected to the terminals, it selects it for you----and will not allow you to charge a lithium battery under the lead acid option, for example.

It took a long time to find out a Genius5 was okay to use so I wouldn't burn my house down by using the wrong charger...I'm going to sleep now...see everyone on the flip side...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Hi, thought I’d replied earlier but who knows where that message went. Anyway I cannot offer any technical advice but I would assume in this day and age you paid by credit card. If so contact the credit card company and explain the situation hopefully they might help, not sure if there is a minimum value but it’s worth a shot. All the best.

9. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    It's two messages up mate ;)

10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I am on my 3rd Lithium battery for different bikes, not had a problem Use JMT make; just occassional top up charge in winter months.

11. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    that's odd. i run two shorai batteries on older kick-start machines-- a 72 bonneville and a 70 norton. both shorais hold a charge for months sitting in the shop without attention. the norton is a one-kick start even after sitting all winter, the triumph takes one or two

when i do charge them i use the expensive shorai trickle charger and it tops them both up in about an hour or so. both are adequately charged when running by the primitive alternators on these machines.

i'm guessing that my much better experience with them has to do with not needing to run a starter motor.

12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Have you got the battery charged now? I have the same set up with a Noco Genius charger on my Aprilia Tuono. I've had the battery for a couple of years now. It all works fine, but as has been said, if you don't keep the Li-ion battery charged up or try to start your bike in cold conditions it can cause issues.

13. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I have been told that you need to wake the battery up before trying to get it to start the bike if you haven't used it for awhile. Next time, switch the bike on, don't try and start it, the switch the lights on and leave for 30 seconds. Turn everything off and then back on and try and start the bike. You may have to do it a couple of times.

14. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    Yes, it is.

My seller/distributor told me SHORAI claims the battery will be replaced under warranty. SHORAI claims that once they have a replacement battery, they will send one to him, and it will come to me. So from this, I am to understand, they do not have another LFX14L5-BS12.

SHORAI claims the battery is bad and will be replacing it under warranty...and I am not exactly keen on toasting my sprag clutch trying with a recalcitrant/lazy battery, as to replace a sprag on a Daytona 1200 is an engine-out, case-splitting affair.

It is fair I got a bad battery.

It is not reasonable that the battery arrived totally flat and clearly not tested. It is also not reasonable that these batteries require a secret handshake to work. It is also absurd that a battery, which has the purpose to run a motorcycle, must live in razor-thin controlled laboratory conditions that the chemistry of these batteries clearly require. This tech clearly isn't ready for prime-time consumer use---at least in this application.

Sorry, SHORAI, I do not live in Argentina where it is hot all year long. I live in New England. Heaven forbid I want to ride in temperatures below 50 degrees. This requires I switch out this battery with an AGM/lead acid battery for the colder months if I want to condescend to ride when it starts getting chilly. So, as a rider, am I ahead having this battery when I still must buy a second battery, a heavy AGM to keep riding?

You make the call.

As it stands, I cannot even attempt to use this battery, topped off or not, until it gets warm enough. Sprag clutch and diva battery...

I may change my tune when the new battery arrives, but I remain skeptical for now. I'm so far of the opinion that lithium batteries work best for people in very warm climates, race teams who can afford to have 6 of these on hand (so hopefully one works), charging at all times in the paddock, so they can save 7lbs. on their race bikes, or consumer electronics, which by their very nature live a life isolated from extreme temperatures.

I expect things I purchase for a premium to work. That is why I don't buy cheap. This is why I'm less than enamored right now.

15. mng

mng New Member

Nov 17, 2020
    Farnham, Surrey
    According to their site:
    https://shoraipower.com/charging
    it needs to be charged before first use.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    That definitely would have helped things.

Seller claimed it was fully charged, "plug and play".

17. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    UPDATE: Finally.

SHORAI and the seller made everything right.

Turns out, the old battery, no matter how long it is charged, even staying in a 70 degree home, would not hold a charge more than 4-8hrs.

I did 7-10 charges of this original battery, and it discharges to dead flat in only a few hours.

SHORAI sent me a new battery, which I have charged 100%, and it is staying on "maintain" until next Wed, when it is going to be 64 degrees outside, and I will attempt to turn over the Daytona 1200 with this new battery.

It looks like I was the guy (1/10,000 units?) who got a dud. Seller claims he charged the battery before shipping. Seeing it discharge so quickly, I am apt to believe him.

SHORAI handled the hiccup admirably.

Would I recommend one? I will post in about a week.

I am thankful for SHORAI's graciousness and swiftness.

More to come...

• Like Like x 4
  18. Daytona1200Express

Feb 7, 2021
    NH, USA
    UPDATE:

Finally, got to the storage unit today, and it was 67 degrees...I connected the SHORAI battery, turned on all the lights for 30 seconds. Turned the bike off....repeated, turned all the lights on again, for 30 seconds...set the bike to PRI, set the choke, and fired over the bike after the second turn.

I am so far, very gratified.

The Daytona 1200 is another amazing subject that deserves her own post, which is to come soon! What a motorcycle!

• Like Like x 2