My 2006 Bonneville T100 Starts But Will Not Run.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Racjamz, Jan 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Racjamz

Racjamz New Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida
    I adjusted the valves by replacing the shims. Now it will start right up, but just putters at 800 r.p.m. . If I give it any throttle, or push in the choke/enricher, it stalls out. Double checked cam timing marks, and air gap. No change. Re-installed old shims, no change.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Check everything you touched, this sort of issue is quite common, I would go back and check step by step for a possible missed connection or pipe incorrectly fitted ( not pushed fully home ) if you disconnected the battery you may need to let the bike warm through fully ( 12 mins ) without touching the throttle I beleive to relearn its parameters.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #3 sprintdave, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    If it was ok before and as you say, you replaced the old shims to check, it is probably something you have done.
    I would re check every connection and all pipes as oldyam says. Dont overcomplicate things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum racjamz.

15e3a85db23c7072eaaba533acb6a97b.gif

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Is adjusting the valve clearances all you have done, was the engine running fine before doing this? the fact that it will only run OK with the choke on and wont take any throttle says to me there is an air leak in the intake...perhaps a vacuum pipe?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'd go with what Tricky said:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. billyrideslow

billyrideslow Member

Nov 20, 2018
    san diego
    If you're timing is off by a tooth, it won't idle well and won't run well.

I'd open her back up and triple check timing. It will run if it's off, but won't run well.

It's easy to be off by a tooth.

Next time you do this, find tdc and then disassemble. Knowing how things line up is a fine difference when put'n them back together.

• Agree Agree x 1