Murray "muzza" Walker, I Met Him Once, Strangely.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Patchinko, Mar 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    Here's to the great Murray Walker, a man I once had the privilege of meeting in rather unusual circumstances.

The year was 1995, my wife, girl friend at the time, had a membership for the Chewton Glen hotel and health spa in Barton on Sea. I would on occasion join her at the gym for a workout followed by a swim and Jacuzzi.
    On this day, after a vigorous session in the weights room I returned to the changing room for a shower before my swim.
    At the time I was big into World Super Bikes and had worn a Carl Fogarty T-shirt in the gym, and while undressing for the shower, with only the T-shirt left on, I heard from behind me a deep voice saying "Carl Fogarty eh"!
    Considering my state of undress I was a little taken aback by someone obviously keen to engage me in conversation. In fact I suspected an ulterior motive. So before I had fully turned to the person behind me I had already started to say "like you know who he is" quickly followed by "oh, I suppose you do don't you" as it was the great man himself Murray "Muzza" Walker. What's more he was in a similar state of attire, wearing only a string vest.
    A conversation started, between us, still semi naked, about motor sport in general. First about bikes and on to F1.
    It was of course just a year or so earlier that Michael Schumacher had barged Damon Hill off the track in the last race of the year to claim the title by a single point, and I was keen to get Murray's opinion on the incident. If I remember correctly I had accused Schumacher of foul play.
    Murray said that he was sure that Schumacher had not rammed Damon maliciously. He went on to say that he and Schumacher were good friends and that he considered him the consumate sportsman and a complete gentleman.
    History now suggests otherwise.
    Whatever, the fact is I had the privilege of meeting and enjoying the company of the great man. Albeit in various states of undress.
    I have a work mate who was a mad keen F1 and Nigel Mansell fan, we often had debates about who was the better racer, Fogarty or Mansell. If I found myself losing the discussion I could always turn it around with, "Anyway, I've seen Muzza's willy" a fact my mate was most envious of.

R.I.P. Murray, you were a true gent.

• Like Like x 7
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    R.I,P. Murray, The voice of motor racing and indeed a decent chap. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Timmy Tucker

Timmy Tucker Elite Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Newmarket
    R I P Murray the voice of motorsport for 50 years.
    A true gentleman and legend.
    God bless you.
    Tucker

4. crazydave

crazydave New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    hinckley leicestershire
    MR F1 . GONE TO HEAVEN
    imagine the stories hes now having with the greats , MOSS , LAUDA , HILL , SURTEES , HUNT , SENNA ....
    F1 was never the same when he left , especially now with the little boys an the arrogant BLM prick ... sir WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX

5. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Motorcycles, he said, were his real love.

Perhaps unsurprisingly...

CBG-April-2019-p8.jpg

6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

The sound of his voice with the roar of the F1 engines at full screech is imprinted in my mind, as it possibly is with many of you?

His voice has gone, as soon will the cacophony of highly tuned internal combustion engines - only to be replaced with an electric whir, much like a Unigate Milkfloat - with much the same excitement and style.

Sad days.

7. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    A true legend. He was a big part of my growing up, as I always had a passion for motorsports he was the voice of summer Sunday’s. On another similar subject, Fred Clarke is the voice at the tracks for BSB, I will be lost when he retires from the circuits. He has been commentating since I have been going to the circuits , nearly 40 years of his voice and knowledge...:neutral: