Multi-tool Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Sprinter, Mar 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    On the GT I had, storage wasnt a problem, the same cant be said of the Speed Triple.
    I am used to carrying around a small workshop when I feel the need. I would like the peace of mind of some sort of last resort tool.
    So ,do any members carry a multi-tool? Would you recommend it? Which one is it?

2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Did they prosecute?

3. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I have had a Leatherman wave for about 20 years now, it’s a great bit of kit and will most jobs at the side of the road, plus open a bottle of beer and trim your fingernails! They genuinely feel that they’ll last a lifetime

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Iv'e also got a Leatherman wave and I find it a lot more robust and reliable than the cheaper versions, you gets what you paid for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#5 Cyborgbot, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
    Phew - close call!

I have had two Leatherman Waves. The first was confiscated by the Frankfurt airport Police after being arrested going through the SECOND security search prior to boarding a BA flight home to the uk for the weekend to get my dirty laundry washed.
    Some muppet had borrowed the knife/tool and put the multitool back in my hand luggage and not back into my checked/hold baggage (I was supporting some USEUCOM thingy in Baumholder and the techs kept nicking my stuff). The cops made me open each tool/blade and then measured/photographed them. They called the airport director and security Director as I argued politely that security should have picked it up in the first check (when I wouldn’t have been a criminal). I had to point out the useless security crew for a bollocking.
    The Police made me sign something completely written in German, possibly admitting to all the local unsolved crimes and being the cause of both World Wars, before eventually letting me go with a stern telling off - even a German being nice sounds angry, imagine what they’re like if they are slightly vexed.
    Got a nice round of applause from the BA crew when I finally boarded the plane - they then relaxed and pampered me with loads of booze...
    Nice bunch. Even the captain did a wise crack on the intercom. Excellent service.

Still have the second Leatherman Wave (titanium) but need a new little screw driver insert.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Sounds like besides your Karrimor, there were two other tools present that night! :)

Good story though. Hope they at least helped u find your lighter!

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    #6 Samz, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Flying to the Isle of Man from Manchester I discovered my multi tool in the pocket of my jacket I hadn’t worn for ages just as I approached the security check. Not wanting to hand it over I placed it in the plastic tray between my camera and mobile phone and off though the x ray machine it went.
    Expecting flashing light and sirens to go off, I went through. NOTHING! Picked it up the other side and on to the plane I went.
    On return from Ronaldsway I did the same thing again.
    A officious little women with a peaked cap and an SS commandant style attitude took great delight in discovering I had a tiny plastic bottle of shower gel, NOT in a ziplock bag! :eek: She demanded I bagged it up to which I refused to do, pointing out that the security at Manchester hadn’t had a problem with it. She got very upset at my refusal to bow to her demands and stated “WE ARE MORE VIGILANT HERE ON THE ISLAND”. She said this as I watched my multi tool pass through the X-ray on the TV screen.
    I resisted the temptation to “wave my tool in her face” after I picked it up and just smiled politely at the stupid bitch!:yum
    Still got it to this day. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    This thread has made me service my Wave, just scrubbed it with soapy water, cleaned all the attachments with WD 40 and wire wool and oiled it, looks and functions like new.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#9 Cyborgbot, Mar 3, 2019
    Just got mine out (the Leatherman) and discovered it is a Ti-Charge and not a Wave - I must be thicker than I thought, but am quite sure I didn't spend nearly £200 on the damn thing! As I recall, I got it uber cheap in some American military PX store along with an awesome SureFire Aviator torch that could light up the sun.

IMG_3236.jpg

I will give it a clean and also try to get a replacement screw bits from Leatherman. It's suppose to have a lifetime guaranty - does that cover bits that get lost?

Just been looking at the government website for rules on knives. As DD says (and discovered through experience) having a damn useful tool that won’t snap shut and cut ur fingers off is hard to justify legally these days... Amazing that a bunch of twats running around with zombie knives spoil it for mature sensible and responsible people like us.

:rolleyes::joy:

Beer man posted this a year ago.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/triumph-multi-tool.13879/

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Thanks DD, I dont understand why more manufacturers do not produce a tool without a blade, or just a small one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. David Cooper

Subscriber

In these times, the twats with the zombie knives would get a caution, and the honest people with multi tools would be prosecuted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Had two leathemans, but decided to ride away on the KTM without fastening up my tailpack. Got my camera back by retracingr my route, but some lucky barsteward got my leatheman.

IMG_20190303_181117.jpg

This isy remaining one, a crunch. The pliers lock, bit like mole grips. This is a neat little function, because pliers are great at rounding bolts off.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    They found a pair of nail clippers in my hand luggage and snapped off the nail file bit before they would let me through, could do way more damage with the maglite that was in there too........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#13 Cyborgbot, Mar 3, 2019
    My 20 year old son has now started to do a bit of car maintenance but despite dad ‘suggesting’ that the spanner he was using ‘might be’ the wrong size he ignored the suggestion (as he’s almost a big a knowall as his dad) and discovered (at significant cost) how rounded bolts are made...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Was he running?

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. David Cooper

Subscriber

It's a good thing work vans are exempt or they'd think I was a mass murderer the deadly things I carry for work, I have , cutting tools,burning tools and corrosive chemicals on board, I'm a mobile mass murderer and body disposal all in one.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. David Cooper

Subscriber

P.S Cheap rates for forum members.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Shhhhhhhhh:confounded:

Don't give away out secrets :expressionless:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I suppose being in commutable distance to Newcastle, business for you and your van of doom is brisk?

• Like Like x 1
  21. David Cooper

Subscriber

#19 David Cooper, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    I work all over the North East, from Carlisle, Berwick upon Tweed,down to Whitby, and the biggest shithole prize is awarded to Hartlepool, home of the monkey hangers, I know that if I get a job in Hartlepool for social housing It'll be a guaranteed to be a house full of drug needles and dog shit,oh happy days.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Sure it’s canine poo?