Muffler Mystery

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by La_leo, Mar 31, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. La_leo

La_leo Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    I have a bit of a mystery. I an 01 bonneville from my neighbor. He had every bit of work done on the bike at the dealership. He told me he had the mufflers changed to get a more aggressive sound. I'm super curious if the mufflers are OEM, since the say TRIUMPH. They also say "not for road use." Another thing that I'm wondering is if the mufflers were changed, did it also get re jetted? The carb screws definitely look like they'd been tooled upon. And did triumph offer off road mufflers?

20230330_165201.jpg

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Leo. Not really a mystery - the mufflers (silencers) you have were/are supplied by Triumph and are widely known as TORS - Triumph Off Road system. They could optionally be supplied as new (for dealer fitment) on certain models but were stamped "NOT FOR ROAD USE" because they may not comply with noise and/or emissions regulations in some of the markets, including here in the UK, for which the bike was intended.

It's quite likely that, in the US in particular, a rejet would would be of benefit to get the most out of the exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. La_leo

La_leo Member

Mar 25, 2023
    USA
    Oh so THAT'S what TORS is. I've seen it referenced a few times. Hopefully I'll be able to determine what jets are on the carbs when i take them apart