Muff Woes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by gazzatheyid, Dec 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    No not that muff!

Fitted my Oxford muffs to the new BMW F800st and having some teething problems:

1) The pressure over 60mph forces the muffs down so its difficult to get at the clutch at times on the left one.
    2) The clip button on the right hand muff came undone whilst on the motorway forcing it to go at right angles and blocked me getting to the right indicator, cancel button and heated grips. I had to push through the muff to use them and was difficult. Especially given the stupid BMW indicator design of a left, right and indicator cancel button.
    3)The wind pressure also seems to be pushing the brake lever slightly as I thought I lost power but was the bloody muff pressing the lever.

Not overly impressed given the problems above. Anyone else had any experience with them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gazzatheyid
    Have you tried going slower. Joking don't use them so can't help. And now you have told us i won't be getting any.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Me neither!
    Decent gloves and heated grips work for me :cool:

4. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    And there was me thinking this thread was going to be about something else......

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    No. Good thinking though. The beemer handlebars are a pain as the mirrors are mounted separately which I think stops that (as the bars would).

7. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Yep. I was being tight and not looking to spend £200 after the last gloves failed

• Like Like x 1
  8. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Had the same problems, only yesterday I made these to keep them off the levers.
    I'm using the Givi muffs which have a strap between them. If I put the strap behind the mirrors it has the effect of pulling upwards on the top of the muffs which stop any downward pressure. The DIY plywood lever guards keep them off the levers :) 20201204_150319.jpg 20201204_150654.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've just gone down the heated gloves route. They're Chinese jobbies for £35, powered by a 7.4 Li Ion battery in each gauntlet to give 4-4.5 hrs heat on the highest of 3 settings (1 & 2 are useless). We'll see how durable they are but I tried them the other day and they're great. I went out with normal gloves, cooled my fingers down to the pain threshold, then switched to the heated gloves. 5 mins and fingers were useable again, even in a 60mph wind blast.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    I had the RST Paragon heated gloves which were excellent but failed after 6 months. Quite common with heated gloves according to Sportsbike shop.

Can you post the link for these? Cheers

11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #11 Pegscraper, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    They were a birthday present, I'll see if I can find them on Amazon.

Don't know if they were from this seller but these are identical. Theyre just generic heated gloves, not bike specific so no armoured knuckles or palm protection etc. Theyre sold as waterproof but I would say showerproof. They have a sort of rubberised palm so good grip. I've heard that heated gloves can fail prematurely, I guess they have a hard life with motorcycle use but for the cost, if they last me while next Summer Theyll do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EIVOTOR-Re...eated+motorcycle+gloves&qid=1607197543&sr=8-5

PS.....This ipad pad is doin my feckin NUT in!!....took me 4 attempts to type this....:mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Never had muffs until this year. Tried heated inner gloves. Didn't like them, too many layers. The muffs look crap but I can wear summer gloves in 3°C and have to turn the heated grips off! That is well worth it IMO

• Like Like x 2
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've got the Keiss heated vest like @littleade and it makes a hell of a difference when its below 2 degrees. Bought the heated gloves to go with it, which worked ok and kept your whole hand mildly warm, but I didn't like the wire up each sleeve to connect it to the vest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Pah....amateur :rolleyes:
    I would make a cage out of angle iron with Perspex windows so that I can see the switch gear :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i am thinking of making a top box out of some chipboard and some exhaust hangers and fork brace out of some bits of old plywood i got knocking about. sorry but bits of a old tree will be not going near my bike any time soon.:joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1