Mpg

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by crispey, Jan 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    since remapping with my new ttp tune I am now in the 48mpg area, up 8-10 mpg, so my previous map was probably corrupt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Excellent news Crispey, very pleased for you.

Now go and ENJOY :):):D:D

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's better

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    yeah I spose I was taking it easy as I didn't want to rattle off the new blinkers and tail tidy.

5. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Bit of an update on my Thruxton fuel consumption which had been as low as 36mpg.

Following the once over by Clive Wood, including a change of plugs and a reload of the map I am now getting close to 45mpg. Bike is completely standard other than the Triumph Arrow 2-2 exhaust system.

• Like Like x 1
  6. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can't remember how old or miles you done on yours but it does seem to improve with age too

7. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Crispey
    I know this is old hat for you but ref your refueling, my bonnie Jess is about the same, fuel light comes on at between 96 miles to 113 miles on trip and when I first had her I kicked off with dealership as I could not get anywhere near the mpg Triumph give out, no matter how I rode it.

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hey pottsy, yeah it had played on my mind for a while, but the bike ran fine and anyway what price biking fun?!

9. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Yes I agree and I think Triumph and all manufactures rely on us having this approach. So now I just take there economy figures with a pinch of preverbial salt. Or a cold beer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    That said Crispey
    One thing I do pay attention to is weight. I know you are not a Bonnie man but when you road test the Thruxton R please take out the T 120 first. I know the crank is light on Thruxton but just compare weight. I would be intersted in your thoughts.

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not going near em, cos o know if I do I'll just get into trouble
    image.jpeg

12. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Talking of fuel consumption,popped into a BMW dealer today and asked the mpg of a S1000XR.
    "I've been using this one for a few weeks" he said lets have a look and proudly put the dash on.....33 mpg :eek:
    I know it's 160 bhp bike but bloody hell.

13. Garfield

Garfield Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Surrey
    My worst was 47mpg. My best nearly 62mpg. Usually it's between 52 and 55mpg. It all depends which mates I go out with ;-)

14. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    Boing! Sorry to bounce an old thread but I found this by searching as I was checking for MPG figures. My 08 EFi Thruxton delivered 39mpg on its first tankful and I was a bit shocked by that. I used to get 50-55mpg out of my Speedy and that was with TORs, DNA air filter, TTP remap etc. Didnt realise the Thruxton was such a thirsty beast, but then it'll probably suit me, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Probably get 100-120 miles before fill up time, probably just as well as my arse is killing me after about that so an excuse to get off the saddle is always welcome

16. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I do 60 miles a day on my commute, so filling up every other day works out well for me. I'm just really surprised at how much thirstier a Thruxton is compared to a Speedmaster?

That said I suspect my Thruxton runs a bit rich and i have to idea what map its running as i couldn't get TuneEcu to connect when i tried. I'll try again at the weekend and check air filter etc. If that the MPG it gives, then so be it, I just need to make sure it's running as well as it could be. I'm going to try a few maps but suspect i'll end up going with the TTP one?

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Taipan, 39 does seem a bit low for an 865 Efi Bonny (or Thruxton) I had a 2010 T100 which is pretty-much the same engine and after changing the airbox, filter pipes and map mine would consistently deliver better mpg than your Thruxton

1. 200 kms (125 mls) to low fuel light on;

2. 220 kms (138 mls) before fill-up with a 'best ever' for 270 kms (169 mls)

3. Average mpg 55.

I did all the engine changes at the same time so I could buy one TTP map to take the lot into account.

10 yrs ago the idea of a modern bike doing over 50 mpg was just a dream to me - now my latest ride averages over 70 mpg and a 'best up to now' of 77 !!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks for the info. I'll deffo look into mine more, as I wasn't exactly thrashing it to get that low MPG...

19. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    Well i don't recall riding any different, but that MPG looks much better??

[​IMG]

20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Comparing two 865 cc motor's built for different riding styles ! Doesn't work , one is tuned for midrange torque (cruising) the other for high rpm thrashing (race ?) If you ride @ 6000/6500 rpm and above the America/speed master will get crap mpg and if you ride @ under 4000 rpm on the Thruxton you're going to get crap mpg ! The difference is the height and duration of valve lift on these two bikes/engines is polar opposites !!! Thruxton high lift and relatively brief opening , America low lift and extended opening ! Ride either bike/cam wrong and the Engine will struggle/labour and therefore chew up the fuel.

• Useful Useful x 1