Mpg

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by crispey, Jan 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Topped the tank this morning and it took 2 galls after 82 miles so now up to 41mpg so it's going the right way!

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nope the fuse wasn't blown, 122 miles and the light came on. Slightly better but room for improvement

3. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Bit of an update on this. I spoke to the previous owner who confirmed that he had dealer installed the correct map for the Triumph Arrow 2-2 system and that he used to get 105 miles from a full tank before the fuel light came on whilst running the bike without baffles.

I spoke to the installing dealer who recommended that I add some injector cleaner (benzene?) to the fuel due to the bikes low mileage and use. Before I did this I checked with one of my local Triumph dealers to get the right additive but they told me not to add anything to the fuel. They did say that a Thruxton should achieve 45mpg with a few miles under its belt and advised me to stop using V Power fuel, get another 1000 miles on the clock and use normal unleaded. If the bike was still achieving less than 40mpg they told me that it may have rejected the map and they could hook it up and check it for me at a cost of £40 whilst I enjoyed a cup of tea.

Will report back if I go this route.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It sounds to me like they don't have a clue.

5. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    All a bit conflicting! The only advice is taking notice of at the moment is to get some miles on it; and I'm loving it!

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    When you're ready - and only if you want? - we can go through your bike step by step to ensure everything is as it should be.

To do this I'll need full details of the bike, including any mods.

Cheers and enjoy,

Dave

7. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Thanks for the offer Dave. My local bike shop that I bought the Thruxton from has already offered to put it into Triumph for me for a hook up and test if I'm overly concerned but to be honest I think it just needs a bit of use.
    Riding the bike yesterday on dry roads in the warmth of a sunny day I opened her up a bit and let the engine rev through the gears and the initial uncertainty around 3000rpm seemed to reduce. Speaking to the previous owner and looking at the past service history from the initial purchaser (3 owners in total including me) it seems that the bike has been very well attended to with a sheaf of service receipts, etc.
    The bike had only covered 5000 miles since new but I am now just short of 6000 miles and through about 3 tins of cleaning product!
    Will keep in touch.
    Cheers
    David

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #28 thebiglad, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Just a small but important piece of info for you. NONE of the std. Arrows maps installed by dealers take into account inlet changes such as snorkel removal, airbox baffle plate removal, DNA free flow air filter etc etc.

The Arrows maps only take into account the greater outflow from installing their pipes and even then it is with baffles in place.

If I've understood correctly the inlet mods will improve the quantity of air entering the engine by 200 to 300%.

Assuming you have the inlet mods listed above, you will need a new, properly produced & tested map to conform with the bike's current FULL configuration. I suggest you visit the Triumph Twin Power (TTP) website and do some reading about their tunes and bits.

Dave

PS Just a quick word or warning. It is not at all unusual for Triumph dealer mechanic to automatically put the bike's map back to std. Triumph spec. This means that you would lose whatever modified from std. map is already in there. Just saying...........................

9. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Cheers Dave
    The bike doesn't appear to have any of the other mods you mention, the air filter is new (Triumph branded) and the last time it was hooked up to a Triumph diagnostic tool was 800 miles and 18 months before I bought it when the previous owner took it in specifically for the correct map to be installed. The supplying bike shop only changed the oil and filter (Triumph branded) and fitted a pair of new tyres.

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #30 thebiglad, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Sorry Creaky, just realised that I was getting mixed up between your bike and Crispeys machine.

11. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Are you trying to say that all thruxton a look the same to you?!?

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Creaky, see my posts O2 lambs removal and what have you been doing to your triumph today, basically it looks as though if there have been any non triumph approved mods Done they remap to the closest triumph approved map which isn't necessarily right for all the mods, I am taking mine to an independent dynotesting centre to get it checked out and then re-mapped as I think the ttp map I have has been corrupted or something. With regards to your fuel, I get the feeling that's about right, mine has done 7000 miles now and my lights coming on at around the 100 to 110 mark.

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No mate, sadly it's more a matter of aged male getting confuzzed.

14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I would have done had I known they would tamper with it without letting you know prior to doing it! You live and learn

15. acerboo

acerboo New Member

Jan 18, 2015
    maidstone kent
    last sunday we went for a ride of 120 miles fuel light was on put in £10 fuel at £114.9 a litre = 1.91 gallons did 120 miles fuel light cam on again. some cruising some not hanging about! that works out at just under 63 to gallon?

16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, whilst that sounds great, I suspect that the method you have used is not accurate enough for a final MPG figure.

To achieve consistency I always park on the side stand at the filling station and always fill up to the level of the bottom of the filler tube.

Not knocking your results mate, just offering a suggestion.

Dave

17. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    stop turning the engine off when your going down hill!!!

18. acerboo

acerboo New Member

Jan 18, 2015
    maidstone kent
    you could be right I wll try it next time.

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Mine only does about 55mpg (UK gallon), so yes I am jezalous !

20. Ian Birch

Ian Birch Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Great Harwood, Lancashire
    Just measured the fuel consumption on the Ace, I'm getting 48MPG!