Motorcyclist V Pedestrian

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gled, Sep 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
  2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I remember the Green Cross Code - I'm sure it was - look right then left then right again. David Prouse he of Darth Vader fame taught it through the 70s. Is it just me - that sort of transmission no longer happens. Now we deal with phone zombies and health freaks just running out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    she didn't look and biker on wrong side of road at >19mph passing a heavy in the wet...50/50 sounds like a result

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Also to keep checking whilst crossing. Far too many people just have their eyes on their phones and ear buds in their ears.
    Agree that the bike should be check his way is clear as well.
    Not sure who the majority of blame would be on so would go for 50/50 as well

6. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    looks like a good reason to have loud pipes

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Or a lance like ye knights of olde :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Wot he said. 100%!:)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Dozy cow

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Seems to me that the biker is perfectly entitled to be passing the stationary traffic. She didn't look.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    Why do we need to insult people?
    Yes I agree she should have paid more attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah, lots of factors really, it looks as though she was about to look but didn't stop. Maybe motorcyclist was going a bit fast considering the truck that went the other way, obviously that had probably taken a large part of the attention, the fact she says he was going to fast makes me wonder how soon she did see him. But on the whole you should always stop and look for traffic as you walk/ ride out between stationary traffic, if that had happened she wouldn't have got hit no matter what speed the bike was doing.
    It's a bit like the situation when a car turns left out of a side road, they've obviously looked right for incoming traffic in their lane, it's clear so they pull out and hit the car coming the other way that's passing the parked car on the other side of the road, but he's in his lane!

13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've just watched this a few times now and it seems to me that it's a 50/50.

It's a built-up area so there will always be the possibility of pedestrians;

It looks like the road surface was wet so potentially slippy;

I wonder what a court/judge would say about the rider overtaking the stationary traffic, does he have a right to do that? Bare in mind this is not filtering, it's overtaking.

The biker had just overtaken a lorry which would have blocked his view of the nearside pavement momentarily blinding him from the approaching pedestrian;

The pedestrian at the time of impact was looking at the traffic coming from her left.

So for me both parties were showing a lack of due care and attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #14 Havit, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    If i had done what she done i would have called myself a silly sod, because i would have been, She is a Dozy cow for not looking. Its not an insult it's a fact:bomb::p

At the end of the day if your on the road be it driving, riding, or walking, You have to pay attention. She wasn't. The rider had no chance of stopping. If you step off the pavement between two cars you look both ways. The same rules apply when stepping out between stationary cars. She clearly Didn't.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    60/40 pedestrian biker. The pedestrian was not at an authorised crossing place and stepped out blind from stationary traffic.
    The biker was simply filtering too fast to avoid the very idiot she encountered.
    Defensive driving says you should expect the unexpected. Anticipation saves lives. Rules should not supplant personal judgement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    I totally agree that the pedestrian was at fault. My comments were on your phrase or insult. I simply believe there is no need to. You however do. Its great to have freedom of speech...without insults hopefully.

17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I work on the Forest Gump Quote, Stupid is what stupid does ;)
    I hope her name wasn't Jenny :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. From the Highway Code Pedestrian Section:
    Rule 14
    Parked vehicles. If you have to cross between parked vehicles, use the outside edges of the vehicles as if they were the kerb. Stop there and make sure you can see all around and that the traffic can see you. Make sure there is a gap between any parked vehicles on the other side, so you can reach the pavement. Never cross the road in front of, or behind, any vehicle with its engine running, especially a large vehicle, as the driver may not be able to see you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    Life is a box of chocolates.. hope you're not black.
    Or a farmer that's into cows?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #20 Havit, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Hey Man!!, Dats my Land in it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1