Motorcycle Shed Bikes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Jan 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    From yesterday’s visit

D3CF392F-771D-4D70-A901-161F270C432C.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there

49040151-2F83-4B99-BDA0-576837C65E9B.jpeg

ABDDD123-639C-41CE-99E4-56AF9E3F4860.jpeg

95B99D66-AEDE-4597-8EB7-C5C73297D915.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  3. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there

74E94E7A-6289-468E-A6C0-75F590576E41.jpeg

E31472E3-6C48-40D0-8044-289F32D0A520.jpeg

728764EB-38B0-4FD3-A286-374D8FB18FE9.jpeg

560E9570-2A73-4091-A340-35D7A34C96CD.jpeg

52BF28D7-9CEE-429B-887A-4648A6EB57F1.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  4. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there

8F19C6B5-7069-49BC-A25F-22098CD35C5A.jpeg

7F252EDF-650D-4DCC-8E36-F7F2B99643B4.jpeg

B05239A1-C486-4E5A-B6E1-1B0D5D3EAC25.jpeg

03436A56-0C8E-40A3-A920-7C44F01BFCF6.jpeg

DF816AA6-AEC7-40FE-A784-BC0D23E5EB23.jpeg

CC83A95B-F850-443F-9904-7D3FE86BD122.jpeg

F4B3BA99-0BC8-4E54-BD18-A106BDB68082.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have seen a few of their bikes some are OK while some are not very imaginative IMO bit bolt on looking, presumably most are for sale?
    To me they seem to have jumped on the trendy young Londoner with high disposable income wagon...cant say i blame them but it kind of takes away from what building custom style bikes is all about.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    It was a tad hipster tbh, but did have about two dozen bikers including a club from Austria.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    SW1A 1AA
    The Hoxton Thruxton is dull as dishwater, a nice display to look at but goes against the essence of what it markets itself on which is ‘Shed Built’ bikes as most all are just stock bikes brought by rich kids and given to established bike builders who charge a fortune and definitely don’t own a shed. Once complete they spend more time parked than ridden and attract a swarm of Redwing wearing, selvedge denim clad, checked quilted shirt and baseball capped individuals who are anything but individual who want to ‘buy’ the lifestyle rather than live it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    SW1A 1AA
    Which I find equally cheesy

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is all about choice, you pays your money and makes your choice.... Life would be boring if we were all the same.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Can’t think of one of those bikes that I’d like in my garage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The name on the headlight cowl is The Mustard think it should be The Custard.
    Then again that’s doing an injustice to Custard Creams biscuits.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    It just has to be my age!o_O
    It has to be!
    Can't think of owt else!:confused:
    Those bikes make a total bag of shite:poop: look really good!
    There ... I've said it.
    BUT ..... I do agree with 'each to their own'. They have every right to be wrong!:p
    Yep .... definitely my age.:(

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What looks awful to you can be lovely to somebody else. Taste is in the eye of the beholder, whether it be bikes, women or anything else.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    There’s a bit of a ‘fast food’ idea to them. Ready made quickly but far from anything good. Ok for a quick fix in a way........

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Because you all love the yellow Harley sooooo much

16. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    #16 PeteZ, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Uhh Ohh, what's this here, the one and only true and original hard core crew hipster slagoff club?
    Yes some of the bikes maybe pretty fugly, yes a lot of them are bolt on simples, yes the coffee there is overpriced and yes some of the members and visitors may be hipster generation following what the fashion industry is telling and selling them...does every single one of the bikes make their owners happy, fcuk yeah, does anything else matter, fcuk no..I think we should be grateful that so called hipsters brought some money into the industry and pushed/allowed the manufacturers the develop more and better bikes. I often see full leathered superman's on overhyped supersports who's nearest chance to get the knee down is when they need to sit down to do their boots up, not mentioning the fact their bikes will never ever see a red line in anything than 2nd gear if that. I do not hear any hipsters slagging them off.
    I got back into biking after 20 years, because I crave a bit of adrenalin and I like to escape the daily grind whenever I get a chance and also to meet others with similar mind set up. I did not realised that if I buy a current Scrambler for my very hard earn cash, put some basic catalog accessories on it to make it my own (and cause I'm absolutely no good with tools), wear a comfortable checkered kevlar shirt and comfy riding boots that happen to be in fashion at the moment, I'll be looked at as a dick who is trying too hard to fit in with a knowitall doneitall builditall hardcore true original supercrew.
    Why does it matter what makes Them happy, however tasteless it may be..??
    I think people need to chill out a bit, it's bad enough with Trump and Brexit stirring shit up ..
    Stay safe, ride often and be happy..

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Surly we are entitled to and opinion ...just like everyone else and if some of the more mature bike riders here who i might add may well have been the original developers of the custom bike scene want to have an opinion on today's hip limp wrist-ed wannabes buying contrived over priced designer bikes to look the part then that's fine as well...why do you feel the need to defend their lifestyle? we are just having a dig because we have developed the culture they crave with real graft and sweat, they just buy into with their high disposable income and designer jobs...:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    #18 PeteZ, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, at the end of a day, opinion is like an asshole, we all have one :p
    I'm just a bit disappointed that a lot of people get thrown into the hipster bag just because what they like is currently in fashion. As always there is a section of that community that really is made of right bearded tattooed fake idiots who will get into something else next year once the fashion turns, but that does not mean everyone in there is like that. Many of them will develop a true passion for custom and will take the art further, taking over you lot hard crafters once your kids put you (and me) in a retirement home.. I sense a bit of bitterness in a lot of comments these days, and when you say " we have developed the culture they crave with real graft and sweat, they just buy into with their high disposable income and designer jobs " that just sounds well patronising, like if I can't build my own custom bike and have to buy one, I may as well fcuk off because thats fake. Well that's a bit sad, isn't it??
    Sure, be proud of what you have done or can do with your bike, I admire you and your skills, I'll never be like you. All I can do is do my 60h a week at work and go buy an overpriced new Triumph, trust me, it will make me as happy as your custom bike makes you..
    Every other comment on the new 1200 Scrambler on youtube is just basically "it will never see dirt and even if it does it will be shite, just another overpriced hipster mashine blah blah.."
    I like what I like, if that makes me a hipster at 42 without a beard (or any hair or tattoos for that matter) than so be it.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch
    Well, I have only used the Scrambler as an example, I honestly could not care less about what others think about it, I'm way past that stage of my life, I need the bike to make Me happy, nothing left to prove to others really.
    I certainly get your point and not taking anything out on you boys, you are experienced and can do things to a bike that I can only dream about.
    All I'm saying is, just because I can not build or heavily customise one myself does not make me less of a bike fan than any of you. And that applies to a lot of people in bike shed and everywhere else.
    Yes it is a bit of fun and I get it, but it just happens a lot these days and not only here and youtube and not just with biking.
    It's like if everytime a newbie turns up on my local kitesurf beach with a new and crispy shinny pimped latest 1.5k kite and instead of me giving him some slack and chance to get into sport I love, I go " hey hou you wa**er, look at you and you overpriced kite and wetsuit, you know nothing about real kitesurfing and you are shite..
    I don't know, call me a snowflake, but we do not do this sort of stuff in my kiting community..

20. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch

Remember the bed very well, that got a lot of peeps going lol
    I know nothing about art and agree it is pushing things a bit too far calling this an actual Art, but is it not the same fraze people were saying to countless other crazy artists in the long human history, most of which were later rebranded as "genius".. :)

The thing is, not everyone has the skills, time or space to do such customizing, so the next best thing for them is to go and buy what they like and think will make them happy. They (me) do not know any better, just want to have some fun with bikes.
    I'm not jealous at all that some less credible slap on customizers have made it successful business, it is fair enough, they are not hurting the biking community, they are part of it. Maybe not as valuable and "real cool" part as all of the hard core real custom boys who started it all, but part of it nevertheless.

Doh, I actually quite like the Bobber, damn, thats me done innit? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2