Motorcycle looses all power when the starter is pressed

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Esben Soeltoft, Sep 2, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Esben Soeltoft

Esben Soeltoft New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Denmark
    Hello

I have worked on a project to replace the electrical wire harness on my Daytona 955i from 2006 after I burned off the fuse box completely.

I have finally managed to change the main wire harness, and when I turn on the ignition I have power in all instruments, ligths etc. However the moment I press the starter, all power is lost. After turning off the ignition and waiting a little while, I could repeat the process. I turn on the ignition, all is fine, but the moment I press the starter all power is lost. I then measured the battery and it was down to 2.5V. Before I started it was nicely at 13.5V.

I know this is not enough the identify the problems, but if anyone has a good checklist to to by, or and idea to likely causes or the most likely places to have done the wiring incorrectly, I would appreciate such advice.

- Esben

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sounds to me like your battery is a dud. Connect the bike to a car battery of known strength and try again.

3. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    Could also be a short in the starting circuit or motor windings but I'd try sticking a hefty battery on first!

4. Esben Soeltoft

Esben Soeltoft New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Denmark
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try first with the horns, lights and everything to see if that provokes a similar condition, and then try to stick on a more powerful car battery.

Robin, you mention a broken starting circuit. Do you have any tricks to track it down?

Esben