Motorcycle Camping

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Frecklechops, Sep 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    IMG_20190523_100554.jpg IMG_20190523_103957.jpg
    Karajini national Park , Brenda going down into the gorge. Second one of the pools in the gorge ! Check out how clear that water is !!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Motorcoach for me with bikes in trailer. Find interesting place to ride out and explore from from the coach base camp. I suffer from IBS, ain't that the shitz, YES. So a toilet, is only 20 feet away while driving. On a bike i typically move around enough that IBS hasn't occured on a ride YET. Closest mountains are 400 miles away. Arrive with energy to ride and a hot meal ready in the crock pot. Or a private shower, or a nap in a warm queen size bed. 1800 lb cat under the bed keeps it warm. Not exactly camping. Just leave all your necessities in the coach and carry out your trips clean clothes on hangers to put in the closet. Stop by the grocery for fresh meat, fruits, vegetables and beer. Take the dogs along also. I Also keep mountain bikes in the trailer for pedal rides on trails or streets. Fully self contained so i don't have to use rv parks for 5-6 days or be plugged in. No need to stop for lunch or fuel (until you travel 1500 miles) or if you don't want to. But if the dogs are along they need a walk or a potty break. I like to pull off every 200-300 miles to stretch, do a quick walk around to check tires and coach, grab a snack and water from inside.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Well done @Frecklechops :grinning:
    Glad you’re enjoying your biking freedom, although camping wouldn’t be my choice. A nice hotel with a comfy bed and a bar downstairs is more my thing these days with my aches and pains. :rolleyes:
    And you’re right about the road from Mallaig, a great, fast, flowing road.
    You can’t go wrong around there, some fabulous roads and stunning scenery. :grinning:
    Mrs Freck and I are hopefully going back up there soon for a little break, though it may well be in the car this time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Someone once said:

"Camping and death are quite similar, you know what they involve, so both are best avoided"

:cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Now that's my ideal form of touring. Not done it yet as no towbar on the motor home and dont have the time available but I will some day.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That's ' " Glamping" ' at it's Best :) :) , & you have your bike !!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Motorcycles and camping for us peasants is the only way to see the world,
    T110 and sidecar to Morocco in 1970 only two nights in B&B's. FIM rallies and Moto-camps on the 900 Trophy all over Scandinavia, Czech republic, Poland, Croatia, Morocco, Italy but not Albania as the hotels were cheaper than than Italian campsites.
    The FIM events take you to places not on the package tour sites and also provide a "checked out" destination. Last year I went to Lithuania and this year Germany and Denmark camping all the time. I also go to UK weekend camping rallies with the Fosse Riders four or five times a year.
    Pictures from Marrakesh 2016, France 2017 where the campsite warden cooked pizzas and delivered it to my tent with a complimentary coffee, Pisa Italy washing day, Croatia 2018.
    Next year Slovakia and Italy again.

To Morocco and back, May 2016 113.JPG

To Morocco and back, May 2016 185.JPG

Motocamp 2017 plus 211.JPG

Loppem and Motocamp 2018 131.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #28 Sandi T, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Great photos, BATEBY45! Thanks for sharing them. If I were to start camping (though HIGHLY unlikely), I'd definitely have to trade my current bikes for something more "offroad" suited. Which would make it even more unlikely. I do, however, love hearing stories from those who do camp and seeing photos like yours!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Each to their own mate :)
    I’ve been combining motorbikes and camping all my life :cool:
    Using a trailer is a relatively new thing to me :) for three years now :cool:
    Like most I thought trailers looked unwieldy and even dangerous :eek:
    I joined this forum and was influenced by @capt and @TEZ 217 who both use trailers :cool: and thought feck it I’ll give it a try :grinning:
    I really can’t praise the use of a trailer enough for camping :)
    For me it’s a lot safer than loading a bike with all that weight piled sky high over the back end :poop: especially if carrying a pillion which means that the weight goes even further back :eek:
    Pulling a trailer has not affected the handling or enjoyment of riding my bikes at all....I know that it’s there but it’s hardly noticeable unlike an overloaded back end of a bike :poop:

TRAILERS :eek:....not a good look :(
    BUT FECKIN BRILLIANT :p

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    IMG_20190913_115226430.jpg I’ll go camping in this but b****ks to a tent. Fair play to those that do.
    Mine does have a tow bar so might look at a bike trailer.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's the closest I'll get to camping aswell Nikki! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Excellent riding,that!
    Looks like someone flipping you a bird over on the right of the picture.
    Thanks for posting that. Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Nikki if you are taking just one bike look at the trailers that carry the bike laterally or transverse i.e. across the back.
    This will keep any future ferry costs for additional length to a minimum with no obvious loss in practicality :p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3028833342...WkJAT6Gbo6JH06PRtA002-_oFzVPhIqkaAk8AEALw_wcB

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Perhaps, not quite as easy to lane split with a trailer behind?
    Cheers,Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’ve done it plenty of times :)
    Legally motorbike trailers in the UK are limited to 1mtr wide :)
    A lot of bikes are about this at the widest part :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Whats wrong with trailers? I started with mine in 1993 when my wife and two kids said they wanted to do the FIM rally in Hasselt, Belgium son and daughter on the RD 350, me and the wife on the new 900 Trophy = big tent and loads of kit = trailer behind the Trophy.
    The towbar from Watsonian Squires modified to make it fit has been on the Trophy ever since and the chassis and wheels/tyres of the trailer are also 26 years old only the woodwork has been replaced, first in 95 with the addition of a folding tent for the FIM in Norway at Malselv between Tromso and Narvic, on to North Cape and return.
    I lengthened the draw-bar some years ago and built a maximum allowable box that has seen a lot of use as I don't have a car anymore, for a short time it had a bigger folding tent on the top but it was to unwieldy so it had to go.
    I have got a bigger and much better tent now it is an Outwell Vigor 3 and fits across the back of the dual seat. fim 036.JPG scan0003.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0004.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  17. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Great idea, Nikki! Use the "trailer" to pull the bike rather than the bike to pull the trailer. :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    I club I hang with run a January Winter camp every year. It was bloody cold, but the local pub helps! You got to push yourself sometimes, I'm closer to 60 than 50.

DSCF6975.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  20. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    It's not shit man!
    I love camping especially while biking!
    What you described sounds uncomfortable but you should always be prepared for the unknown, its not rocket science!
    Some of my best bike trips in UK, USA, Turkey and many others were made this way and in all conditions, its all part of the adventure.
    We seem to live in a cotton wool society where everything is controlled, get out and enjoy what we have around us.
    Yes, I'm of very senior years and still enjoy riding my old bike and canvas tent to live in, just experience it !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2