Mods For The Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Jan 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screechers

Screechers New Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Minnesota
    I just compared it side by side with my dealers RS and it isn't a huge difference but sounds a bit raspier at idle and throatier/tad louder while riding.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for sharing.

3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Update: With the bike back from the shop, I was able to get new arrow cans thrown in. So, this time I didn’t drill out the discs, I cut out the baffles. OMG it sounds F&$@ing awesome. Real deep and way louder when on the throttle. I think it’s just perfect this way. I’m also happy to hear the overrun on deceleration now. It pops and burbles constantly. With the only the discs removed it wasn’t very loud and was still kind of tinny sounding. This has really transformed the riding experience for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thats great to hear ..... been looking at whether to replace dual cans, change to low boy or look to remove baffles in Arrow cans ... mmmm more food for thought

5. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    You just removed the baffle or baffle + caps?

We want a video of the sound of the Speed RS with caps and baffle removed!

plz plz plz :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. V.L.

V.L. New Member

May 10, 2019
    Latvia
    Can you please create youtube video with buffle and no buffle ... i don't cut my yet :D and now i'm thinking , how to do better ... remove buffle or remove discs :D

7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Just removed the baffles. I will try to post a sound clip, no guarantee I will be able to figure it out though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Love the look without the pillion footpegs !

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes it really cleans up the look imo.

10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I agree with SteveRS that removing the pillion footpads really cleans up the look.:grinning: I removed them from my 2019 Speed Triple RS before I even took it home from the dealership. Plus I don't intend to ever have someone riding on the back with me. And I have to say that the included pillion tail section doesn't look like a particularly appealing place to sit for more than, say, a nanosecond anyway. :scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Was the baffle removal easy Steve ? Been considering this but would also like the option of popping them back in when necessary ... cheers

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes it was. I did a much easier removal process than most on here. I left the end caps on and used small cutting discs on a dremel to cut the weld off the end of the baffle. I just slide a pice of tin between the baffle and the carbon end cap where I was cutting, as to protect the end cap. I think I used about 12 cutting discs for both mufflers. You could then drill a small hole in the top of the opening for a screw if you want to put them back in, but after you here the bike without baffles, you will never want them back in. I’m considering removing the restrictive disc to open it up a little more. The sound is very deep and does drone a bit on the highway. so ear plugs should be worn for long highway rides, but you should really wear them all the time anyways.

13. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Excellent thanks Steve ! Yep I always wear earplugs but would love to hear the bike without baffles .. only “interested” in being able to replace them for track days and visiting countries where no baffles may be an issue ! Cheers mate

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Update on the exhaust. I thought I would drill out the discs today to see if it makes any improvements on the exhaust note. Answer, yes and no. With the discs removed it didn’t have any noticeable effect on the deep and throaty sound of the exhaust. People say that’s it’s too loud with discs and baffle removed, BS. There is no audible change that I can detect at all. Now onto what is better. When I removed just the baffles it sounded really good but there was a buzzing sound when riding, and trust me it was not there before removing the baffles. I’m pleased to say the buzzing has completely disappeared after removing the discs. It has some how changed something inside the mufflers that has eliminated that sound. Don’t know if anyone else has the same issue, but if you do then drill out those discs and say goodbye to that annoying buzzing sound.