Mods For The Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Jan 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Just took them off over lunch. 10 minutes. Did not need to remove the exhaust, but you better have a shallow ratchet and socket or you won't clear the exhaust pipe. Damn, looks good without the pegs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Not that I'm trying to copy you, but in case we ever ride together, they'll look different LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nice. Looks freaking awesome now. Love seeing all of the piping, very clean.

4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
  5. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Same question. I ordered them in hopes they are less "grabby" than the current ones. My riding boots have a rubber sole and the RS pegs grab it. Same shoe on my KTM is fine.

6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nope haven’t even ridden the bike yet :weary_face:. I hade the
    same problem with the pegs on my Street Triple as I couldn’t move my boots around on them. The Speed’s are the same so they had to be replaced. I replaced my Street’s with eBay pegs that are about the same knurling as the Rizoma’s and they worked really well. The Rizoma’s feel about the same with my boots on them, so should be perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oops! Sorry to ask if you'd ridden with them, Steve. I forgot for a moment there that you're in Canada and it's winter. I grew up in Minnesota but now live in Tucson AZ so sometimes sort of forget that not everyone can ride year-round. Thanks for the feedback on the Rizoma pegs. I may just have found another part that I "have to have". Sigh. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oops! Sorry to ask if you'd ridden with them, Steve. I forgot for a moment there that you're in Canada and it's winter. I grew up in Minnesota but now live in Tucson AZ so sometimes sort of forget that not everyone can ride year-round. Thanks for the feedback on the Rizoma pegs. I may just have found another part that I "have to have". Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hahah, no worries. It won’t be long now. They say we are going to see upwards of 18 Celsius next week, so you never know. Yeah, those pegs are very nice indeed, from feel to quality machining, a top notch product.

10. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Mine arrive Friday brother! Not that I can probably give you a report until next week since we got 7 inches of snow last night in a flash "spring" snow storm. Going to the hardware store today to get some M8x16 bolts to plug the holes where the passenger pegs used to be.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nice. Too bad about the snow though:worried:. As far as the holes go, I was thinking about using plugs of some sort. I might take a bolt to the hardware store and see if I can find something. Otherwise I might just leave them the way they are, probably can do any harm besides getting road grime in there. Have you mounted them yet? I’ve tried moving my boots around on them and they are much better than stock pegs. Very grippy but let’s me position my boots more easily. I have Dainese Torque D1 boots and the are very grippy, see photo.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Inserts installed. Hardware store had some M8x16 (125 in US) stainless bolts that fit in place. Cant see them but the holes are now protected from gunk. Will post pics when I get the pegs.

Are the pegs easy to remove/install?

13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup, one of the easiest mods to install. You’ll just have to decide how far to rotate them forwards. I guess it depends on where you have your shift lever adjusted to. I moved my shifter down from the stock position by one tooth on the splined shaft. So my pegs are rotated forward a few degrees. I’ll include a photo.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well I finally got out on the bike today :heart_eyes:. It was 20 Celsius today, so I put a one day permit on the bike to perform some break-in. Holy s$!t that was awesome. Very impressed, handfulls of torque with a linear throttle response. Feels basically as flickable as my Street. I’m performing a Motoman break-in, which is a hard break-in, so I got to feel up to 9000 rpm’s with the front end coming up in 3rd gear, nice! I was surprised to see wind blast is not as turbulent as my Street, both have fly screens. I set the suspension to comfort just to see how it would be. Very compliant and plush over manhole covers and small potholes, and rock solid in corners. I was a little concerned as some people have said the suspension is very firm even in comfort setting. Perhaps they didn’t set sag setting first or they weigh less than I at 13 stones. After my 100 km ride the oil and filter was changed and Paint work wiped down, which by the way is much easier with a ceramic coating applied. Anyway, I had a fantastic day today on the new bike. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Nice man, glad you got to ride it. It’s freak’n awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup. I think I’m going to cut the baffles out though. It’s still pretty quiet with just the discs out. I think it doesn’t change the fueling or torque either, maybe other can chime in on this one.

17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Update regarding the stock exhaust, it actually is getting better unless it’s my imagination :). I put an exhaust on a sports car I had years ago and the sound did open up as the miles went on. Come to think of it so did the SC Project exhaust I put on the Street Triple, so maybe this one will too. Anyone else notice this supernatural phenomenon ;).

18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Awesome, that’s good to hear.

19. Screechers

Screechers New Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Minnesota
    I just cut out my restrictor discs and holy crap it sounds way better than I figured it would have. Little more raspy at idle and just that little bit more volume while riding than before.

• Like Like x 3
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m glad you like it. I kinda wish I didn’t cut them out before riding it for the first time, as I don’t know what is sounded like before. Oh well not a big deal.