Modifying budget LED driving lights

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tigcraft, Aug 14, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Doing the Alps in next few weeks on this. So this years budget Chinese touring bike
    image.jpg has a little short sighted night time use. I've a headlight pattern that's like a bar code with no real light throw in front, so keeping costs down and power consumption also, I've bought some Cree 125w (15w eqv halogen use) LED's to fit less the ugly cages.
    image.jpg
    Problem, the light given off is very much like a pointed laser with no flood light spread which is what I really want. The lenses' are very pointed and really need a flat lens with a fog light type diffuser.
    Has anyone ever played around with these units to get a broader beam?
    I don't intend paying top end prices for driving lamps and sure other people have similar viewpoints. In all fairness I do enjoy having a challenge to make things

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Is there any way of adjusting the distance between the light source and the globe-like lens? This could alter the throw of light.

3. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I
    I've taken the lens off completely and it's like a shot gun.
    Thought about a 35mm camera lens as the diameter is around 60mm (guessed). Moving the standard lens out does nothing really other than leak from the sides.

4. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bet it's raining at yours dave??

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's not raining at the mo' Eric, but it was a bit this morning.

From tomorrow we are back to wall-to-wall sunshine. :):););):rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1