Missing Relay

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jonana, May 8, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jonana

jonana New Member

May 7, 2022
    Canada
    hi everyone, long story short i took my husbands bike out of storage as he passed away 4 years ago and decided i was ready to get her going, through multiiple you tube videos etc i have her mostly running howevr upon putting a new battery in i noticed a missing relay . Its a year 2000 speed triple and there is 2 of them that sit above the battery and one of them is missing.. The bike starts and runs so i assume its not a relay for a fuel pump.. i am not techinical or mechanical and live very very far from a triumph dealer .

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hello jonana :cool: if you can load a picture up it may help people, as they say a picture paints a thousand words :) nice that you feel it's time to get the bike going again too :cool:

3. jonana

jonana New Member

May 7, 2022
    Canada
    heres a picture , also the headlights and turn signals work so its not relay either

Slimer.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Lane

Jim Lane Member

May 12, 2021
    Suffolk
    Probably a cooling fan relay.
    If it starts and runs its not a fuel pump or starter relay.
    Likewise if the headlamps and turn signals work its not those.
    Engine management relay would mean the bike wouldn't run so that only leaves the cooling fan.

Wiring diagram you need...

5. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I agree it could be the cooling fan relay. Although I seem to remember that a lighting relay was left out on purpose for some markets so that only one dipped headlight was operational. Do all of the headlights work, both dipped together and both high beam together?

6. jonana

jonana New Member

May 7, 2022
    Canada
    NO
    Booth high beams work but only one is working otherwise i just went and checked :0

7. jonana

jonana New Member

May 7, 2022
    Canada
    I super appreciate everyones help this has been a learning curve , he always fixed everything took me an hour to change the oil, i havent been riding since he died and sold my bike and kept his but now that ive started all this Im excited

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    If only one dipped headlight works then fitting the missing relay should get both lights to work, assuming one of the dipped headlight bulbs hasn't blown.

9. jonana

jonana New Member

May 7, 2022
    Canada
    kk thank you !!!