Mirror Moving About

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DANSOME, Oct 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Hello guys,
    A few rides back I started to get an issue with my right-hand bar end mirror on my '16 Speed. At highway speeds it will move out of position and become useless. The issue is not down to the mirror mounting post which is tightly secured but at the "roller-ball-bearing" attachment between the post and the mirror itself. It moves more freely. Maybe because I've used it too many times as a helmet-holder.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what can be done?
    Thanks!

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Could it be glued/set into position??:confused:

3. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    I'm sure it could but I would prefer not to. I can imagine the resell value would drop a bunch...

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If there is a metal type cup? around the ball part of it?
    You might be able to tighten this by carefully tapping it tighter with a punch :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Go back to the dealer and keep quiet about the helmet rack :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Have you tried turning it a few revolutions to see if it will self tighten ? certainly worth a go.
    Failing that, it sounds like you will have to take the glass out and see how it has been assembled.
    Could try a bit of 2 part adhesive without using the hardener, it gives a gluey sticky condition which may hold it in position and stop vibration, but would allow adjustment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Many great ideas, thanks guys. Will try a couple of those and let you know what worked.

I did that. They tightened the post. I said it wasn't the post. They answered: "Oh, then there's nothing we can do. Do you want to order a new one?"

8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I'm waiting for some bonneville bar end mirrors to be delivered from World of Triumph . Reading the fitting instructions in advance I see there is a grub screw inside the two " halves " of the mirror fitting. The screw is set for tension before the outer bolt is tightened down. This allows for minor adjustment while riding. Not sure about speedy mirrors but could the screw be loose if they have the same tightening arrangement ?

JJ

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    I've got the same problem, let me know what solution you come up with, took it to triumph their solution was glue! Don't really want to do that as I tend to swap bike alot when out riding.

10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol so order a new one then,job done

11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    If I remember rightly, there could be a spring inside the curved area to keep tension on and a nut. Could the glass part be popped out for access to the inners? Sort of thing I would do but it would require a good bit of skill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    On another note, one of my motortrade tricks was if I got a car to sell with a sloppy gear lever I'd pop out the lever from the nylon ball and socket an wrap a 'cut off' from a nylon sand bag round the ball and stick the thing back together. It made the movement nice tighter and smooth.
    There may be a way to lever the ball on the mirror over to put a slither of a nylon bag in to tighten the joint?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The way to cure the problem is to use a auto center punch on the steel ball, you move the mirror to its extreme and make 2/3 punch marks. This will expand the steel making the mirror tight.[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    May only cure it temporarily though, hopefully there is a grub screw like Johnjo referred to.

15. fireblade95402

fireblade95402 New Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Hampshire, uk
    This will sound strange and no I don't use the product, it's my daughters :).

Try spraying hairspray into the joint of the mirror, while moving it around. Then set it to the position you like.

I did it this weekend and now the mirrors don't move at speed. I'm not sure about rain if it will remove the hairspray, but then just reapply.

Just an idea. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What about Thread Lock set the mirror remove and apply.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Sorry, forgot to update this thread. I have since had the mirror replaced under warranty after insisting a little further with the dealer. I didn't get to try any of the tips posted here apart from giving the mirror a few spins which didn't work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Loctite make a "wick in" product, a drop should do it !