Featured Michelin Pilot Road 5 Review

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by MrOrange, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange There is no good cop!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    On the road up to last year's Forum Scotland trip, I killed off my rear Michelin RS. Great tyre, but only lasted 1500 miles :p
    Big V-twins are not kind to tyre's, especially when, like me, you use the grunt when accelerating:imp:

Strathearn tyres are a good bunch, middle of Scotland, and massive stock of tyre's. They stuck me a rear PR5 on, as I couldn't live with £170 per tyre for 1500 miles.

Had PR2 on the SV650, and I hated them, the squidgy feeling, left me I'll at ease on the bike. So was a little hesitant to fit the PR5, but glad I did.

Have been really impressed with them over the last year, and haven't noticed any drop in grip compared to the softer 'sports' RS. Been great in wet and dry. They even coped with running home from last year's GMU, nearly 300 motorway miles over the weekend.

Managed to get 4250 miles out of the rear, so am reasonably pleased with that, and have got a pair on order to be fitted next week. £260 fitted for the pair:cool:

IMG_20190626_172815.jpg IMG_20190626_172844.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf GrrrR3Rrrr
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    :eek: You forgot to mention that it’s because you were trying to keep up with me on my old BPOS :joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I've been running sports tourers on mine for years MrO. For us mortals they are more than sufficient, give good feedback, grip and as you say last so much longer :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. billyandmollysdad

billyandmollysdad Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

I've got PR5's on my tiger roadie, they are brilliant tyres, i'll be buying the same again when the time comes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    I had a pair of Michelin PR5s fitted to my 2017 Speed Triple before I set off on my recent NC500 Scottish road trip.

I had no issues with the stock Pirelli Supercorsas which were fantastic but worn out after 4K miles so I wanted something a little more road orientated.

I’ve got to say I think these are the best tyres I’ve ever had on a bike. Ten days hard riding in all weathers and they felt completely safe and sure-footed all the time.

The dual compound construction seems to work well providing better wear in the centre of the tyre and more grip at greater lean angles.

After the 1800 miles round trip there’s very little signs of wear and no obvious squaring off even with the motorway stints required from Manchester and back.

Michelin have a promotion on at the minute so I got them for £250 for the pair fitted & balanced.

Gled.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    Got them on my 765, great tyre... and I've done 2 trackdays on them as well! :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bagman

Bagman Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Aug 5, 2019
    Dundee, Scotland
    I had the trail version on my 1200GS and thought they were probably the best tyres I've ever used. Having said that I'm liking the Diablo Rosso IIIs that are on the Speed Twin.

• Like Like x 1