Metzler Roadtec Z8

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by diverken, Apr 29, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. diverken

diverken New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Hi, has anyone any info on these tyres?

I have a 2006 Daytona 675 and I was in the local bike shop, who are doing a deal on the Metzler Z8 (£140 for a pair). Has anyone used them or know if they are any good? I have Pirelli Corsas which are rubbish in the wet so I am looking for an all round tyre for both wet and dry as it never stopped raining here all last year!

The guy in the shop also told me that the MCN had a £30 off voucher for these tyres (I think it was in the 10/4/2013 issue.) so if the tyres are any good and anyone has a spare voucher that I could have, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers

2. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I loathe Metzelers, no confidence in any Metzeler once there's a bit of moisture around, but that's just me, some people like 'em. I'd say spend a bit more & go for Michelin or Bridgestone

• Like Like x 2
  3. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Ive had Metzeler on a few bikes in the past & they didnt really inspire confidence. I had cheapy Maxxis on my Blackbird once which i found far better than Metzelers but I usually end up going with Bridgestones :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    & I suspect £140 a pair + vouchers for 30 quid off means they aint the most popular choice around. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. diverken

diverken New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks for replying. I'll heed what you both said ..
    I had never considered them until the bike shop mentioned them.
    I don't mind spending money on tyres.

Cheers

6. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Tyres are all about whatever suits your needs, budget & riding style to be honest. Certain bikes seems to perform better with certain tyres. Personally ive never got on with Metzelers but have never owned them from new, they have already been on bikes ive purchased & hence are part worn. I had Continentals on my CB1300.... They were shocking! :eek: Always liked Bridgestones, good grip wet & dry, inspire confidence & get decent mileage from them. :smile:

However, just googled them & the Metzeler Z8 has had some very good reviews mate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    As mentioned tyres are a very subjective subject and what suits one person will not suit others.
    Tyre technology changes almost as quickly as phone technology....
    New tread patterns, new compounds, dual & triple compounds.....it's all there....for our use on the fine line between joy and pain...
    Remember it's only a fag packet of rubber keeping us upright....

I've no experience of Metzler but I did remove the Prielli super corsa off my bike within 50 miles as I had no confidence in then in the wet or cold.... A brilliant tyre which is crap IMHO on cold UK roads....(Great on track)
    Bridgestones have been good to me over the years and I'm a bit if a convert to the new Dunlop's...(again old Dunlops crap IMO)
    I loved my Pirelli Corsa's on the superduke no problems on an road any condition....(did not like grass though....)

The best bit of advice I can give is buy the right type of tyre... I.E don't get race rubber for riding to work...
    Think about what your using the bike for and get the rubber to suit. Be honest with yourself.....and the tyre shops are not always correct..
    My mate was recommended for his S1000rr race rubber which be bought, he has moaned every time he has taken the bike out on the road ever since he has had them...
    Read honest reviews from forums, from blokes who have actually had to pay for the rubber that sits on their pride & joy..
    The biking press is not going to write a bad review on a product that is set up perfectly on a fully funded and paid for trip whilst having there egos massaged by the PR people..
    That or they don't get invited again...

• Like Like x 4
  8. diverken

diverken New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks again for your advice, guys.. I never thought about the review from someone who has had a fully paid trip. It's also obvious about the £30 voucher when you think about it or someone points it out.

I'll do a bit more research on the internet forums and see what tyres I can come up with. I just want to have fun riding my bike over the summer to and from work and the occasional blast up the coast.

I'll get back to you all with my choice and wait with baited breath on your replies before I part with my hard earned cash !!!

9. diverken

diverken New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Hi Guys

I've done a bit of searching on the internet and on some of the forums and it looks like the Bridgestone Battlax BT 023 so I'll now have a look to see what they are coming in at... I'll be using the bike for going the 17 miles to my work when the weather is fine and the odd run up the coast.

Cheers

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #10 Screwball, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  11. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Ive got those Z8`s on my 2008 speedy. They seem to be good, though Ive only done about 1000 klicks on them. Have to admit I havent really leaned right over yet. But they feel good. They feel like they can keep me up. I seem to remember reading on another forum that they were the best for a speedy. Id be interessted in why people dont like them, I know personal preference is hard to pin down, but any experience is always worth hearing...

• Like Like x 1
  12. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I never felt good on Metzlers - always feel like they're made out of soap, but like SB says manufacturers are changing their products all the time. As I've said elsewhere, I think that so much of your riding is done in your head so if something shakes your confidence in a product it's a hard thing to overcome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Bang on..Bry.. It's all to do with confidence....if you have no confidence you'll ride like a twat or a bloke with no confidence....
    Have confidence in your rubber, ride smoother and faster.. No brainer really...

• Like Like x 2
  14. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Says the man with the canvas tyres! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    That's cos i had confidence with them... rode them ragged...

• Like Like x 2
  16. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Fair comment, I suppose, although I must admit to never having had THAT much confidence in a set of 'boots'! weirdo.gif

weirdo.gif

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Just before I came offshore I was out riding, perfect conditions, good roads, just trying to get a bit more out of the bike. Generally having a good time in my own little world.
    Dont know what exactly happened, but felt like a little slide. Strange as it was both wheels at the same time. Stopped and had a look at the tyres, all good, nice and hot.
    Back on the bike, happened again. This time I went back and looked for diesel. Nothing to see....
    Strange... now its got me trolling the interweb looking for info on Z8`s.
    Cant help feeling there something wrong, but dont know what it is.......

18. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales

Like I said - they're made out of soap? View attachment 1657

19. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    Dont know if they are soap, but its got me thinking that I will take it easy next time out.

Thats not how I want to ride.

I know coming from my big, heavy, torquey cbx, things will be different, but I really felt I was getting to know the bike.

Have to see what happens next time out...

20. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Hope you get there, pal. I'm still having the same issue with mine...:frown: