Metzeler Marathons are SHIT.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by MrOrange, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Not an America thread, just how crappy metz marathons are! :D

Not restricted to Triumph, my new SV650 came fitted with an awful pair of Dunlop D220. They were even worse than Metz Marathons. Front was like it was made from mahogany, never wore out.

Good to see Triumph fitting Cobra's to the new Bobber.

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate
    Years ago I used to swear by Metz tyres had them on xj600 and kwak gt750 shafty
    Bikes with skinny tyres compared to today's offerings
    I guess the world moves on

3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sure Metzler make some good tyres, my nephew swears by the M7RR on his R1.

Just the me880 oe fitment on the America / Speed Master are crap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Metzlers are race track oriented ! On bike with thin rim combinations they tend to work fine profile plays huge part Metz are chamfered like a V with a rounded crown !!! All the Guy's in the QLD Laverda club either hated them (tried) or stayed away because of 'mates' feed back ! Pirelli's were the go in the 70/80's for European bike's anyway !...!

Metzlers don't suit long bike's or bike's designed with wider tyre and rim fitments ! As their profile 'the V' tends to make the bike feel wrong ! As if it's not cornering...!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Already putting my pocket money away for some avons
    Only heard good things about them on here
    The sooner the better as my bike just doesn't feel right

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Hears a strange one, I read a few reviews about the Metz Marathons and some were saying the the factory fitted Tyres were crap compared to the replacement Marathons:confused::confused:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

This could well be true, tyres supplied to bike manufacturers are rumoured to be a different specification to the one's sold on the aftermarket !!!

How true this is, not sure. Seems a stupid piece of marketing to me, cos I ain't giving them a second chance.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I agree. Seems strange....now saying that I have one on the back and have had no hassle with it , Even when it lashed last year in Buxton. It's a aftermarket one so maybe there is something in it :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    This is slightly horses for courses I think. I fully respect the views about tyres after all they are vital to our safety but as far as Mets are concerned they were favoured on my previous bike which was lighter.

Previously I owned a Honda VT 750 S with Dunlop D404's as OEM, everyone wanted to convert to tubed version of Mets marathons for the exact reasons for dumping them off an America.

Now having said that I plan to keep my Mets for a few thousands miles as yet because after swapping out rear suspension I have found bike feels better planted. Come a year or so from now though when I have value out of the Mets I will try the cobra's because I get the logic of them being a softer compound thus giving more grip.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Never forget - opinions are like arse holes, everyone's got one!!!! :D:D:D

Totally agree horse's for course's, loads of people love Michelin PILOT Roads, I absolutely hated them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Wouldn't surprise me.
    When the Hayabusa was released it had BT56's on.
    The rear tyre wore out very quickly, this was because the Hayabusa OE BT56's had half the tread depth of the std BT56.
    This was supposedly because the Busa might overheat a std depth BT56 because of the extra tread movement.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Unfortunately the accountants are in charge. Whoever can supply the cheapest tyre, gets the contract. :(

13. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    That definately makes no sense. I can't believe the tyre manufacturers would be that stupid.
    Yes they could cut there profit margin a bit ( after all bulk buying usually gets a discount) but to supply an inferior tyre for OEM makes no sense at all.
    The Metz's on mine had their chance to impress, they didn't so I switched to the Avons which I'm more impressed with day by day.
    If some one came up to me and gave me a set of Metz's for free I would put them on eBay not on my bike following having ridden the OEM ones.
    So for that particular tyre ( not their entire range ) they have lost a potential customer by ( if they are doing that) being stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Honda did a deal with the tyre manufacturers on their 600 fire blade which came out with I think 16 inch front wheel ! This was because apparently we the ' Market ' wanted smaller front to speed up turn in etc ... ! But there weren't any standard front tyres suitable ! So Honda got them made with a different profile to actually suit the bike's setup ! They weren't available to tyre suppliers. So when owners needed new front tyre the one's available didn't run/ride the same and put a lot of good rider's out !

15. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    Playing around with crap tyres! Seriously, just start to accelerate and the rear spins up!

[video]

16. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    No, just fed in some throttle as I was joining an A road from a slip road and it span up. I just played with the throttle a bit to show how easy it is to do this on a tyre with no grip. They are without a doubt the worse tyre i've ridden with for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You really need to get some Avons fitted :)
    Totally transformed my BPOS into the bike it should have been in the first place :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    Put a Cobra on the front already, case of having to as the front was drifting wide or tucking in round corners in the damp or wet!!!. I'll put one on the back next weekend when I'm off. Well, assuming anyone ever replies to my email enquiries about prices?

• Like Like x 2
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Back makes even more difference than the front !!!! No more spinning up or tramlining, or jumping every time you go over a white line. MPOS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Try Tyre Tec
    Great service and possibly the cheapest tyres you will find.

• Like Like x 2
  21. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Andy, that sounds to me like a worn flat in the middle back tyre. When you tip in for a corner, the bike sort of 'flops over the edge of the flat section. Not a nice feeling at all. New back tyre time I would say.