Met up with Clive Wood

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by R_1000, Oct 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hello everyone

I was Clive Wood yesterday.

It was a brilliant day. He is very thorough and professional. His wife is a very kind and fed me well :).

Clive started working on my bike at 10am and finished at 7pm. He did the following :

*Rear swingarm service - almost in a seized situation. He spent a lot of time trying to take it off. In the end....all good
    *Throttle bodies checked n all in spec and he was surprised.
    *Suspension regreased
    *Spark plugs changed
    *Coolant checked and topped
    *New brake pads front and rear and brakes bled and topped up
    *oil and filter changed. Previous owner gave me paperwork to show the service was done by Triumph in April of this year. We were confused because the oil filter we took out was Highflow. Triumph dealerswould not use that. Anyways we decided to change it.
    Went through the bike to ensure all everything is in order and greased all the necessary joints
    *New Tune uploaded and checked before and after numbers (which didn't meant much to me) and confirmed the new tune us better than the previous one and it's the closest we can get her to run as she should.

I rode the bike around and didn't notice any difference but the low down snatchy is gone. Anything above 3.5 revs she pulls mental. ...below that rev, feels nothing much (I don't know. ...maybe it's just the S3 character )

It was a busy day and he was constantly at it. He thought me everything and explained everything thoroughly.

I left his place around 730pm. Pissin down with rain and pitch dark. Managed to reach home around 10pm. By the time I reached home the bike was filthy. So decided to give her a wash, cleaned n lubed the chain and one thing led to another. ...decided to polish and wax her. Ended up going to bed this morning 5AM.

All good now

• Like Like x 4
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You were motivated weren't you. Good to know you had a productive day.

3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Very much motivated. Usually I prefer to do all the maintenance. The only reason I decided to do this because I felt I could learn a lot from him. He literally took me through everything he did and explained why he did it.

He would ask me a question and if I get it wrong, he will happily explain away. It was a good productive day :). Going forward I can work on this bike with confidence.

As for the late night cleaning. ...I'm stupid that way. I wouldn't have got any sleep as it would have bothered me. Hence the OTT job ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Waynedarcie

Waynedarcie Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Southport
    Sounds like a fun day

5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    .....and I thought I was slightly obsessive! :rolleyes::D:D:D

6. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I thought something is wrong with me. I am feeling a little better now ;)

7. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Went out on my old trident and got wet and dirty. Washed it when I got back but don't think I'd have been up all night doing it. But know what train you are on.
    Glad you got the snatching at low speed sorted.
    Knowing Clive he would have been very thorough.