Maybe I'm Just Unlucky

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TonyG, May 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Tony you do not need a flame.
    All volatile substances have what is called a flash point. Once this temperature is reached/exceeded then ignition is imminent.
    Years ago I was unfortunate to witness a rally mechanic get severely burnt, loss of hair, ears disfigured and eyes glued shut he was in a right mess. The car came in to Service (At the back of Ferrybridge Services so not too far from a full petrol station).
    Car raised, wheels off and he pops underneath to check diff etc. His crew buddy meanwhile fills the tank and a drop of fuel landed on the rear brake disc.
    Whoosh and a big flame appears!!!!!
    Jerry can gets dropped in panic and the poor fella underneath gets the full impact.

I think you've had a very close call.

Do you now think this incident was bad or good luck?
    I'd personally view it as the latter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Yes, you are right, I was lucky and I suppose it could have been very different. I'm naturally a bit negative, but should be positive about it, after all I'm sitting here with a beer and a newly washed Thruxton.

It will be interesting to see what BP's reply is. I have no interest in making more of it than it was, but on the other hand I have stank of petrol all day and it was actually pretty dangerous.

Thanks all.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    To their credit BP are going to stump up for a new jacket and helmet.

If I hadn't got the responses I did on this thread I probably wouldn't have pursued it once I had calmed down the next day, so thanks.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's a reasonable result. Be sure to get better than you had!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I would too but I can imagine they’ll insist on like for like

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    If you were going top of the range then that would be more like £2k!

7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    £850 I think. I mailed them the current price of my lid and jacket.

8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I wonder if they'll send you cash or a voucher/items?
    Last time I had an insurance claim they asked if XYZ were suitable replacements (tools stolen) then sent me them direct.

9. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I had a similar, but self inflicted version of this yesterday. I always struggle filling up, forever spilling a bit on the tank. Yesterday I was super careful, positioned the nozzle just where I wanted to fill to and started to fill. Then I had the wise idea of watching the pump to see how much I had filled, so I would no when close. Unfortunately, I had to twist to see and pulled the nozzle out as I twisted. Fuel went everywhere! Once home I gave the bike a bit of a wipe down with an ACF50 soaked rag and repolished the tank and side panels. Main problem was a proper soaking of my bullet jeans, the smell hasn't gone after a wash (can only use 30 degree). Hopefully the smell will go as they dry after a bit of time.

10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    There are worse smells to have on your riding jeans:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1