Maybe I'm Just Unlucky

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TonyG, May 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    My wife recently reversed into my Bonnie and I got severe sciatica from trying to pick it up in a panic. So today, back and leg felt better and I decided to take my new Thruxton to the H cafe in Oxford. Pulled into a filling station and performed my usual over the top careful insertion of the fuel line so as not to spill any petrol on my new one off paintjob. Press the lever and the bike and me are covered in petrol. Inside my helmet, lucky I was wearing sunglasses, all over my jacket and the right side of the bike. Looks like no damage was done to the paintwork, and I guess I was lucky I didn't go up in flames myself. Never heard of this before, look at the photo. Garage filled out an incident report and I have email BP.

WP_20190512_10_02_27_Pro.jpg

• WTF WTF x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Bloody hell, how dangerous was that! I hope you’re putting in a big compensation claim for it.
    Does look like you’re going to have to change your username to Jonah! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Bloody hell mate :eek:
    Bet someone drove away with it still in the car and it came out without breaking :confused: probably just waiting to happen to one of the next customers :(
    Unlucky that it was you :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Hope they didn't try to make you pay for the fuel!!

5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

You need to get the wife to buy you a Gremlin bell, with the luck you are having.

571794k.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I saw this weeks ago and I thought Id never hear of that again. Not the same thing but the panics real.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

That's really scary, from now on I'm filling up at arms length and ready to leg it.

8. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    You couldn't write this stuff?
    thank god for camera's:eek:

9. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    It did hit the exhaust headers! I guess you just need an actual flame rather heat. I was nervous starting it up though.
    They had an engineer there in 10 mins, he also reckoned it had been weakened by someone driving off with it in the fuel tank. It had broken, but he said there are 2 shutoff valves, it did stop but pumped out a fair bit first.

I'll see what BP say, and maybe invest in a gremlin bell or 3.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    ........................... Fuel Flash point ............. Autoignition temperature
    Gasoline
    (petrol) −43 °C (−45 °F) ............ 280 °C (536 °F)

11. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Two points of view... You were unlucky. Or, you were very lucky.

I lean towards lucky....

Go out and get a lotto ticket :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

oh yess.
    Sitting on a hot bike spraying yourself with petrol, and no ill effects, sounds like lucky.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    So lucky I don't want you standing anywhere near me :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks for the comments to say you are glad I'm ok.

You are all welcome to some of my current luck if you really want it !!!

I haven't been out on my GB500tt for several months, time to f@#k that up now.

Cheers

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Whatever you do, DO NOT go out on your GB500tt. Let me look after it for you.
    Just message me your address and I'll be down your place later on tonight to pick it up. I'll even give you a 50% discount on storage charges for the first 12 months.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    That’s back luck indeed Tony but good luck for you that your ok.

I never ever sit on any of my bikes whilst filling with fuel, puts you in a dangerous position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    The GB500tt was a 40th birthday present in 2000, I would never part with it, though you are welcome to take it for a spin. Glad the wife didn't run that over as it is still on the original paintwork and any scratched parts, levers, etc. are pretty unobtainable now.

I never sit on the bike when filling up either. I do peer right over the fuel tank though as I like to be sure I don't spill any petrol....

Taking my Arai Chaser apart now to try and wash the cheekpads. Glad I was wearing the cheapo sunglasses I got for free at the Triumph TFest yesterday. Petrol all over your face is bad enough without getting it in your eyes as well.

18. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thanks for that, but if I take any of your good luck, my bad luck will shift to someone else......trouble with that is it never goes where you might wish it to...

I'm glad it didn't go bad for you, and you've walked away intact. That's a good result.

Be sure to take them to the cleaners... I know we live in a litigious society, but I think they deserve a rocket up their arris. Okay, some fookwit drove off and damaged the nozzle, but the very least the service station should have done at that time is shut the pump down and had it inspected by an engineer before allowing it to be used. Thereupon rests your case. Negligence.

The engineer got there in ten minutes after your mishap... After is too late (thankfully it wasn't, but damn)

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Found out recently that Shell stations have made it policy to make bikers get off their bikes before refuelling.

20. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    That's unbelievable! glad it turned out OK in that you received no physical damage ...everything else can be sorted, Make sure you stick them with as big a bill as possible...they deserve it ...they get enough from us.

• Agree Agree x 3