Maxton is shipping my GP10 rear shock tomorrow

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by desertspeedy, Feb 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    So are the Maxton goodies on order yet ????

2. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Almost there ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^I love this forum in a manly appropriate way of course :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Just need your thoughts on this people. RT10 and front forks reworked cost is £1,212 including VAT. BUT if I pay an additional 174 pounds I can get the top of the range GP10 rear unit. GP unit is likely to be too much for me for road use but for a bit more you get the best from Maxton.

What are your thoughts people ;)

Thanking you all kindly :)

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    One of those 'nice to have' things but if you are not personally going to massively benefit from it, save yourself some money.
    I think you answered yourself with your road use comment!
    £1,212 is enough to be paying in my opinion unless you were absolutely smitten with the other.

• Like Like x 2
  6. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    ^ I can not offer a comparison between the two as I only own the GP10. I chose it based on Richard's recommendation for fast, "real roads". He did explain that the RT10 was another lower priced option yet quality was similar and I believe that. His only caveat was that to use the GP10 you must have a low pipe as they will not fit the high pipe, I love what I bought so my opinion is biased. I always say, "buy once, cry once" or "in for a penny, in for a pound".

CHEERS,

Chris

• Like Like x 2
  7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Arrrrrrrhhhhh. Decisions Decisions o_O

I'm hoping to put the order in next month. Nearly there. Let's see:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If you are having to think that hard about it go for the GP10 or you will regret it.
    Just make note of what desertspeedy has said with regard to the pipe.
    You'll have to delay putting the Scottoiler on until you get another paper round. lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I had a lengthy chat with Richard back in January. He was kind enough to listen to my rambling about the roads I ride on n the sort of riding I do. He advised RT10 for me as he probably figured out my pathetic riding skill :rolleyes:. I don't blame him as I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two :oops:

Maybe go RT10 n spend the additional 200 on something else.....Blink Blink :D

10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The RT 10 is for fast road and race use so why would you waste money on the GP 10 as its over the top for UK roads.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The option is don't ride the roads that would warrant the upgrade!! Save the money and spend it on a rear view camera!

12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    shocking.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^^ yep that's more like me :eek:

14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    #54 R_1000, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Eric.....I agree with you. I have decided to go with RT10 as it would be more than sufficient for me ;)

Crispey - Don't ride on roads that warrant an upgrade :eek:. Where I live I spend more time bouncing around than actually enjoying a smooth tarmac :rolleyes:. Last week through a midway corner I hit a big ripple on the road.....the bike jumped about but held the line with no problem but I couldn't say the same for me. I thought the bike was going to go around the corner without me :rolleyes:....that's how bad the jolt felt.

The best upgrade I did on my previous GSXR was K-tech front & Nitron rear. The ride was flawless and it's a wonder how well it absorbed bumps etc leaving you to concentrate on pushing the bike ;)

I have a drift ghost helmet cam for the front. I am not so sure of the rear cam. I tried it on my mates zx10 and I found it distracting and continued to use the mirrors instead. Mind you I only used it for about 3-4 hours of countryside riding.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    I'd love to have a bike with fully sorted suspension....

My natural shape is a 15st upside down triangle with short arms....hence a lot of my weight is over the front of the bike and I struggle with front end feeling

I've changed springs, air gaps, oil weight but never had a revalve or sonething made to suit me

I looked at the Ktech SSK valve kit last year but they wouldn't sell them to fit myself :/

• Like Like x 2
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Decision made then R_1000, good stuff, a fantastic upgrade and money left over for plenty of fuel through the spring / summer and maybe a flagon of ale! lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^^ :D. Can't wait to put the order. I was told it would be a straight bolt on and ride as Maxton would have already set everything up on the Dyno;). But I am sure there will be a little tweaking here and there. I am not really clued up when it comes to suspension setups as I always thought it's a trait that takes a considerable time in mastering. But I am happy to say that I would know if the handling is not right :rolleyes:....just don't know how to go about putting it right o_O

18. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Not sure about, "road use". I told Richard I needed set up for, "real roads" as in IOM style, when practical, out in the desert. Our roads here can be rough like your roads in the UK. My rear shock arrived with a perfect 33 mm setting (full on race). I wanted complete confidence that my bike was tuned for my weight, my style of riding and the intended use. Maxton is spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. desertspeedy

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Straight bolt up no worries on that. Mine was spec perfect. Budget to have a tuner validate the sag. My AMA racing mate just added a tad of rebound to front and rear (I have K-Tech up front) and I was good to go. I am excited for you brother !!

• Like Like x 1
  20. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    ^^^^ Thanks bro :)

This summer is gonna be fun :D

• Like Like x 1