Max Tyre Size

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Paul shackleton, Feb 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul shackleton

Paul shackleton New Member

Feb 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    what’s the biggest tyre I can fit on a triumph street scrambler (front and back) without changing the rims?

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Why?

Triumph just spent millions of pounds in development to decide the best size of tyre for your bike. If they thought it would look / ride better with a bigger tyre, why wouldn't they fit it?

Don't think I would compromise the handling of my bike, just for the looks. :confused:

If you looking for more rugged, just get a chunkier tyre, a continental tkc tyre or such like.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paul shackleton

Paul shackleton New Member

Feb 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Was meaning the widest tyre I could get on the existing rims :)

S

4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Wider tyre will have a different 'curve' of the sidewalls, so the bike won't lean the same, and so affect handling.

What size tyres are on it as standard?

5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #5 Eldon, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Whatever fits the swing arm/ fork legs due to the knobbles is probably your limit before the rim width, but as Mr O said why?

Aesthetics over function isn't my way of working but then it's not my bike o_O

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Fitting an oversize tyre to an unsuitable rim messes with the designed profile at correct inflation pressure.

upload_2019-2-10_19-8-26.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

We really are a bunch of boring old farts !!!

I've changed my mind, go out and get a 300 section knobbly !!! :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You would not believe the lean you can get on a Trials Universal ........ just find a roundabout with a non slip surface and zero traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Had an RMX 250 in day gone by. It was sort of road legal. Had a dressing down off the law about creating a nuisance with noise etc. on a common. Took the telling off and calmly rode away. Next T junction waited for some cars and then gave it some beans....
    Result, a nice 180 degree pirouet and on the floor as the plod were just following!!!

Has the OP ridden full motocross knobblies on the road?

They are shite and dangerous.

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Screenshot_20190210-205752.png I ride the KTM on maxxis enduro, on the road, unreal the amount of lean you can get. If I thought about how much rubber is actually on the road , I'd crap myself :laughing:

11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #11 Eldon, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Lean it properly on tarmac and you can feel the tyre going from block to block. Fun for a while until you think about it!
    In the 1990's coming back to Otley from Timble in the Dales, me and a mate called Pete were both on Kawasaki KDX 200s with full motocross knobblies. On tarmac coming into a fast but tight right hander, "He isn't going to get past me down here" I thinks.
    Back end steps out near the entry and feet up took the full corner like a rally car with chronic overseer.

Next junction we pull up and Pete exclaims that looked brill go back and do it again.

My response, f#ck off I'll kill myself!!!!

Knobblies are for off road and steady on road only, trust me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Wider tyres, slower steering.
    Wider tyres better heat dissipation.
    Choose whatever you wish, but you may also want to throw in the profile, 50,55,60 which also change turn in but not heat dissipation, bolox I’ve confused myself now :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Like wor Geordie lasses in a snaw storm!

• Funny Funny x 2