Malfunction Indicator Light Mil

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Dorset Biker, Oct 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dorset Biker

Dorset Biker New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Bridport UK
    I thought the following might be useful reassurance for anyone who experiences the same fault; I've had my gorgeous T120 Bonneville for three weeks and I am having huge fun with it. Its already had its first service and I've fitted a few accessories on the basis of the very useful advice provided on the Triumph Forum. Last weekend I decided to prepare for the winter and fitted a connector cable for my optimiser to the battery so that I can keep it in good shape as I will not be riding in anything other than in decent weather conditions and especially not in snow / ice etc. So far as I could make out, the only thing I needed to reset was the clock. I took my Bonnie out for a trip yesterday (Monday) and the engine warning lamp stayed on. This in Triumph lingo is called the Malfunction Indicator Light or MIL. I called the dealer who recommended that I take the bike out for a couple of long runs as the light probably came on when the electronics suspected a fault with the battery by dint of it being disconnected. Apparently the gizmo will eventually decide that all is well after all and switch the lamp out. Well guess what... as unlikely as I thought this would be, after two legs of about 20 miles, the lamp went out and has stayed out. I guess this is similar to the weird way the bike takes a few minutes to recognise that you've filled the tank. The gizmo just needs some thinking time!

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    DD is right about the three hot/cold cycles - happened on my 865 Bonnie.
    The fuel gauge (would you believe) is triggered by clutch lever movement, which is why it takes a few moments to show full - it would keep showing empty if you rode around in 1st gear all day!

3. Bobber in Seattle

Bobber in Seattle Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    I just got my brand new Bobber Black delivered 6 days ago and during my ride home from work today, the MIL became illuminated during my ride. The bike has barely 70 miles on it. Now I gotta wait for the dealer to open tomorrow and call them to see what I can do.

4. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    That would seriously piss me off!
    If this light comes on as often as it sounds like it does perhaps there's some explanation in the hand book?
    If not then the dealer ought to be advising customers concerning this situation, some folks might stop and call out recovery for fear of blowing the engine up!
    Curly

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Try the 3 cold to hot cycles first, it might take a bit of time on the 3rd one so take her out for a longer ride. Then if there’s no real fault it should go off and stay off. If it stays on then take it down the dealers if you haven’t got the facility to read fault codes. Could just have been a bit of shitty fuel triggering it

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bobber in Seattle

Jul 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    I'm sorry, i'm not familiar with the terms (I'm new)...what do you mean by "3 cold to hot cycles"?

7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    bro, go to top and read

8. Bobber in Seattle

Jul 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington
    ...took it to the dealer and they said the oxygen sensor on the left gave some fault code so they cleared it...issue resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Krishna

Krishna New Member

Oct 12, 2022
    Bangalore
    Engine Malfunction light on the Bonneville T100 ( 2014 model)lights up suddenly and sometimes disappears to reappear again while running . The service guys scanned the bike ecu but says there no issues.Any one faced such a issue pls share your experience.