Featured Make Do And Mend

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Had to use a mole grip on a 650 Triton in 1967 when the gear lever fell off.

Hammering up the local bypass, went to change down a couple of gears for a roundabout and oops no gear lever and by the time I’d realised what had happened I was about to enter the roundabout way to fast :worried:

Thank God there was no traffic on the roundabout.

Clamped the mole grips to the selector shaft splines and that bodge go me home :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Good for miles and miles.

104115903_10223690088182873_4729101672227501613_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Anyone experienced the old snapped throttle cable and holding the inner wrapped around your right hand trying very hard not to pull too hard.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Yes, but I tied the inner round my right leg just above the knee and rode the hokie kokie (right leg out _____) all the way home.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    That happened when we were kids down the quarry, learning how not to fall off.....Unsuccessfully. The throttle cabels used to snap quite regurlarly on the old C50's and Raleigh Runabouts, we used to save from the scrappies. It was cured by wrapping the cable around a stick, and pulling. Worked wonders.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I had clutch cable brake on an old Honda 500 4 cyl. To get home I pushed off to get mobile into first gear. Was real interesting getting on an off the bike in the afternoon peak hour traffic in Brisbane Qld . And changing through the box , I learnt the sweet spots , watching the tacho and traffic to decide whether to change gear was a real learning curve !!

• Like Like x 6