Madstad Windshield

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Woodtickgreg, Jun 3, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Woodtickgreg

Woodtickgreg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    This is a quick release windshield. Once its installed it is adjustable up and down 4" and front to back angle as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KC1961

KC1961 Member

Nov 13, 2014
    West Lothian
    I have been totally unimpressed by any oe windshield that's come with my bikes. I bought a Madstad for my Tiger 800, a revelation, worked brilliantly. No noise, no buffeting, just cool calm air.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jschroeder

Jschroeder New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Long Island, NY
    I put one on my T120 before my cross-country ride. I don't think I'd have made it in the time I did without it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Madstad Engineering

Madstad Engineering New Member

Aug 9, 2023
    Brooksville, Florida
    Madstad here! All but a few of our systems are adjustable UPWARD about 2" and 15 degrees of play in the tilt. Come check us out at madstad.com!

T800_2018_18LG_05.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Madstad Engineering

Madstad Engineering New Member

Aug 9, 2023
    Brooksville, Florida
    Madstad here!
    Glad to hear you enjoy the kit. Feel free to write in any reviews/photos to [email protected]

6. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Anyone know what the torque specs are for the fork bolts?

7. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Crickets.
    Well, I took my Craftsman torque wench and worked my way up increasing the torque from 10nm and turning counter clockwise on the fork bolts until the wrench no longer clicked. Got the following approximate readings:
    Top fork bolt - 30.5nm.
    Lower fork bolt - 44.1 nm.

Am interested in this since my Madstad 22inch windshield is due to arrive on Tuesday and the fork mounts are used in the install process.

Been looking for a shop manual that might contain the specs but only found one published by Haynes for Bonnevilles from 2016 thru 2019:
    https://haynes.com/en-us/triumph/bonneville-t120/2016-2019

• Like Like x 1
  8. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    Good way to calculate the approximate torque settings. I just went by feel, but I've wrenched for many years and I trust myself. I used to work as a mechanic so I know the feel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #9 RickM46, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    Just installed the Madstadt windshield on my T120; ordered it online and it showed up about 5 business days later; packaged very well with all necessary hardware and good instructions. Gregs video was a great help also except I used a rubber mallet where Greg used a hammer.

Found using my torque wrench that to loosen the lower fork bolt took about 44nm; the upper took about 30nm; therefore, tightened them accordingly at attachment time.

Per the Mastadt video using the cardboard measuring device, my mouth lined up to the 21 inch line; I was 6' 2" in my younger days; hence, I ordered the 22 inch model. After installation, my eyes sighted about 2 inches above the top with the shield at its lowest setting (1 inch above headlight). Shield was parallel to the front fork. Initial ride around the subdivision had the air flow just flowing on the top of my toboganned head - otherwise bald. Maybe a few more adjustments to fine tune it. Did notice, I could hear the engine better.

Have to say that Madstadt Engineering did an excellent job on the precision of the components; all were easy to fit together. Easy to attach and de-attach; without the windshield, the mounts are barely visible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Well...... went for ride to town - 7 miles - and now have some experience with the 22inch windshield; at 50mph and above, have significant helmet buffeting. My helmet is a 3/4 open face.

Anybody have any tips for adjusting the height and angle to eliminate buffeting?

11. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    If your getting buffeting it is adjusted wrong. Try moving it one detent at a time forward. Initial set up should be in line with the fork angle, I'm one detent forward from that and the height is set so I look over the top of the shield.

12. Woodtickgreg

Dec 23, 2022
    Eastpointe, Michigan
    If your getting buffeting it is adjusted wrong. Try moving it one detent at a time forward. Initial set up should be in line with the fork angle, I'm one detent forward from that and the height is set so I look over the top of the shield. It's a trial and error and keep making adjustments and testing until you get it right. I have almost no buffeting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #13 RickM46, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Thanks Greg; moved it one detent forward - which is the last detent available; also raised it so that my eyes sight just over the top and that puts the bottom center of the shield 1 and 3/4 inches above the headlight.

My test ride today was a rush - about 40 something degrees and 7 miles to town; the cold made me ride between 60-70 mph to get to the warm coffee shop; T120 ran like a champ. Heat off the engine kept my feet warm.

Next test ride postponed till maybe Wednesday; Tuesday rain; darn.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    Quick question pls, what size Allen Wrench is the pinch bolt on the fork?

15. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #15 RickM46, Nov 21, 2023
    Yo Traveler:
    Bottom fork pinch metric allen: 8mm; guessed that torque at 44nm
    Top fork pinch metric allen: 6mm; guessed torque 30nm.
    So far, no issues on the fork.

Found that there is a website Triumphtechnicalinformation.com where you can get a subscription to the shop manual; kind of quirky in that you have to register and then set your language preference to British English, NOT American English; then you will be offered a subscription.

16. Traveler

Jun 21, 2023
    Thank you! Mine should be delivered next week.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #17 RickM46, Nov 21, 2023
    Traveler, updated my post above.
    Also, you never remove the right and left pinch bolts at the same time - might mess up the forks; remove and replace one at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Traveler

Jun 21, 2023
    Thanks. And for the link as well!

• Like Like x 1
  19. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    #19 RickM46, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    Update on torque settings; got a subscription to the Triumph tech manuals:
    Upper Fork Pinch Bolt: 24nm.
    Lower Fork Pinch Bolt: 45nm.

Also, another update:
    I found that there is a website Triumphtechnicalinformation.com where you can get a subscription to the shop manual; kind of quirky in that you have to register and then set your language preference to British English, NOT American English; then you will be offered a subscription. Another quirk: the website only recognizes my email id in all capital letters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  20. Traveler

Jun 21, 2023