Luggage Set Up For Touring

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Apr 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Do u think a ruck sack wouldn’t work with the plate being pretty close to u then?

2. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    if your asking me no as the rucksack will clash with whatever luggage you fit on the sportrack. i never tour with a rucksack its commuter luggage for me. a good 40/50 litre tailpack is plenty for a ten day tour.plus im a short arse so wearing a rucksack would feel restrictive personally. the sportrack on its own will fit a kriega 30 litre pack on either in line with the bike or across the bike. if you then want to fit a larger foot print bag bolt a plate onto the sportrack also you can strap directly to the plate/sportrack no footrest hangers or number plate holder fitment. hope this helps

3. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Thanks appreciate it..

4. Icarus

Icarus Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Salisbury

5. Icarus

Icarus Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Salisbury

I've used the Givi cases/racks on my 2016 Speedy R with a little modification to the brackets which mount between the subfame and the no' plate hanger...brilliant pieces of kit and keep the c.g down for stability and when not fitted with cases you don't have a bunch of scaffolding hanging off the back to spoil the lines of yer lovely bike!...btw Givi do a kit for the latest 2016> Speedys :0)

59aa6c96-1d9c-4c5f-9a9d-88fc2d96418c.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Colonel Custard

Colonel Custard New Member

May 18, 2016
    Wiltshire
    IMG_0012.JPG I use a Kriega 30ltr then strap a Lomo on top if I need extra space, tent if camping etc, I try to get all my day stuff in a tank bag so I don't need to mess with the tail pack all the time. The Kriega is great bag and feels really secure on the back

• Like Like x 1
  7. Colonel Custard

May 18, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Christ! That's only slightly narrower than my VW Transporter!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Don’t know how long it would take me to forget they are on and take something out

9. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Don’t know how long before I forgot they are there and take something out

10. Colonel Custard

May 18, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Yeah that would be a worry but at least the centre of gravity is kept low

11. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    @matt black I like the idea of the Hepco & Becker plate, do you have any pics of Kriega luggage on it? I’ve found the pillion seat is too short for a US30, so it either clashes with my back or hangs off the sides/rear precariously.
    I’m half considering attaching a top box to the plate, if it goes far enough back.

12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Well I'm Off to Darwin, and I don't load the bike ! I put it All in here...! IMG_20190513_142927.jpg which packs down to look like this. IMG_20190513_120540.jpg Tammin road house and Westonia camp site.

• Like Like x 2
  13. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    hi mattchr unfortunately i havent got any photos with the kriega. i currently have a plate fitted for my held luggage which i cobbled together quickly for leaving my bike in spain over winter,i am going to be making a plate to fit kriega 30 + 2 x 10 litre bags in the coming weeks. seriously though the hepco is just a stable platform to bolt to ie its slightly larger than the pillion seat. so if you need more space you make a larger plate to accommodate your luggage, if you want your gear further back make a plate that overhangs the rear of the bike more ie for bolting on a top box. ive used the hepco sportrack on three different models of bike now its great.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Thanks @andyc1 - bought a pillion handrail over a year ago, but never got round (or had the need) to fit it. Will give that a go on my next trip - likely next year.
    @matt black thanks for explaining, Hepco sounds like a bit more work for how often I'll need it for - I'll need to check a typical top box and plate to see if it's a fairly straightforward fit, or a little hackery to make a larger plate.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Worzel-Nearly dead

Worzel-Nearly dead New Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Colchester Essex UK
    This was my set up when I rode to Poland last year for a mates wedding - as we sang every morning, on goes the big bag, on goes the medium bag and so on - I guess your will get the vide, alot of piss taking but it worked - rode 2,800 miles and never moved once - going to TT soon - so will only be taking 2 bags this year - Keiga stuff is expensive but it works and will last a very long time, plus you can always get bits from them. Anyway hope this helps

Cheers - Tony

IMG_1962.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Going round corners must make it the leaning tower of Kriega!

Does look secure with the extra straps

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Hi Andy, do you mind me asking which of the Givi Tank Bags this is please? Cheers, Dave

18. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    St602 juts big enough for boys and bobs

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Bits even! I’m pretty sure boys can’t fit in!

20. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Lol ! Don't wish to hear about your touring details ! lol ! thanks mate, much appreciated ......

• Funny Funny x 1