Lucas Rita?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tricky-Dicky, Mar 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    This is really for the classic guys but i thought it may get seen here first,
    My T160 had a RITA system fitted rewired it to be 12V two years ago,
    just charged the battery and its not starting, re charged the battery and its holding over 12v so not that, also the plugs are sparking on switching on and off the ignition so that's normal and proves the coils are OK, but doesn't seem to fire when kicked over, now i know i have more laborious checking to do but does anyone know if this sounds like a reluctor failure or if it sounds like the igniter unit is the culprit...starting to sound like i may have to replace with a Boyer brantson unit which i am not keen on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Do you still have the standard rec and zener diode as its probably a bad earth on the zener.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    No got a solid state unit, cant see why that would have any effect? as apart from charging the battery its a separate circuit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Not sure on T160 sorry but on the twins the switched wire to coil is also fed to the zener and if not earthed the bike wont start :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Thanks anyway, i think i have a problem with the pickup or the unit itself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Who's a plonker then....... turned out to be a connector had come loose all the way at the back of the battery box tucked away under the coils..bike started first kick as ever.:D

• Like Like x 5
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Just goes to show that you should always look for the simple things first, i was busy going through the wiring etc with a multimeter and it tuns out to be a simple connector....after fifty odd years of buggering about with bikes and cars i would know better.....[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tricky-Dicky
    Glad you're sorted. You go breaking down it will destroy us all.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2