LT Comfort seat, better?/bigger?/worth it?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by dickydido, Apr 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stevie

Stevie Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Cincinnati OH
    It does look a bit thicker, needs to be wider though! Just a thought....

2. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    ......well, the Thruxton's gone and the LT's arrived and it has had the 'Comfort' passenger seat fitted.....

IMG_1260.JPG

..and as promised, here is a comparison of the standard passenger seat v's the comfort seat....

Length: Std = 14.5 inches (370 mm).......Comfort = 15.5 inches (395 mm)

Width: Std = 10.75 inches (275 mm).....Comfort = 12 inches (305 mm)

Thk: Std = 4.5 inches (115 mm).........Comfort = 5 inches (125 mm)

.....so the Comfort seat is bigger all over and the 'dickydido test of pressing your fist into it as hard as you can' tells me that the Comfort seat is more resilient to compression........

.....the Mrs dickydido's 'seat of the pants test' will follow over the coming days!........

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  3. Graham.db

Graham.db Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Wiltshire
    I think all that needs to said has been, but we have the upgrade so to speak, both back and front, what a difference, all day runs are of no problem, but they do come at a cost, but worth it, i did find that turning the passengers back rest around so as it lent backwards instead of up right help my wife out

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Evening all, I'm a bit late to the game, but I have both the original commander seat, and the LT 'comfort' seat which I bought from triumph for £135 (recently discounted).

The LT seat is nicer and more comfy, but not ... mind-blowingly so. I think it is slightly thicker, but it's got more of gel-based supportive feel, rather than being super plush and deep. I don't think it's any wider.

When I get a chance, I'll grab the original seat down from the loft and do a side by side photo if that'd help?

5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Why on earth would you want to be comfortable on your bike ! He'll be wanting an ashtray on it next along with a drinks holder !

Seriously I can never understand why they just don't make all seats the comfort one.
    Then again it's like Suzuki Bandits exhaust and collected rot box issue.
    A 99% stainless exhaust but the connection between the down pipes and exhaust end can link pipe is mild steel. Talk about penny pinching.
    So that answers this one so they can make more money out of us.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Well, this argument is applicable to most accessories, no? Like the 'tail tidy' you get for most roadsters, why would I want the tail to be untidy in the first place??

Or the quick release sissy bar backrest for the t-bird. If it can be quickly/easily removed, why wouldn't I want it on there? Or heated grips can just not be turned on if you don't want to use them ...

The answer of course, is that they can make more money by designing better/nicer things, and flogging them as aftermarket accessories.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. PDeak

PDeak New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Eysins, Switzerland
    Hello, any idea where to find a A9708358 Thunderbird LT/Commander Comfort Passenger Seat? I need it urgently in Switzerland... No way with local dealers, unfortunately

8. PDeak

PDeak New Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Eysins, Switzerland
    Thanks a lot
    Looking at the first link - item "unavailable"
    The 2nd link is promising - Triupmh Birmingham: looks the seat is available, but for whatever reason I cannot order it. I got in touch with the vendor, waiting for response.
    Thanks anyway