LT Comfort seat, better?/bigger?/worth it?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by dickydido, Apr 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    #1 dickydido, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    ....the LT is being delivered to our place late next week, while it's still at the dealers is it worth having them fit the passenger comfort seat?........I noticed that Triumph seem to have a deal on these at the moment....

....can anybody tell me is the seating area actually bigger than the standard seat?.......longer?, doubtful as it has fixed front and rear location points......possibly wider though I guess......

....is it genuinely more comfortable than the standard seat?.....post test ride Mrs dickydido said it was comfortable but we were out no more than half an hour.....and she asked.....'why can't they put a passenger seat on that is just like the front seat?.........that looks very comfortable!'..........and I can vouch that is very true!.......

.....but she has a good point....just why didn't Triumph double up on the front seat so rider and passenger could enjoy the same degree of comfort?.......very happy to hear back from members of the design team at Triumph about this....

Anybody actually got a passenger comfort seat fitted to their LT?........if yes, what feedback have you got from SWMBO or any other passengers you have carried?

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi DickyD, I took delivery of my LT and once run-in toured in France last year for a couple thousand miles with a passenger. The view on the pillion seat comfort was that it was good; no issues regarding comfort. I tend to ride for an hour or so between stops and this seems to work well for me and my passenger.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stevie

Stevie Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Cincinnati OH
    The wifey tells me that after and hour she needs a break from seat...could be a good thing,,,this comfort seat!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Wessa & Stevie....

......thanks for your feedback guys.......you both seem to align with the 'hour and let them off the back' time for the standard pillion seat.....

.....so I just phoned the dealer.....he gave me an even better price on the comfort seat so it'll be fitted when the bike arrives and Mrs dickydido's 'cheeks' will be well and truly cosseted and pampered when we take it out for a spin together!........

Cheers,

dickydido

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I coulkd be interested. Can you post some pictures when you get the seat on your bike. Thanks
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Wessa,

.....no problem, but it'll be the end of next week before it's here for me to take photos.....

...if you'd like to see a piccy of the comfort seat now, go to www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk and refine your search to find accessories for the LT cruiser........look through all the the bits and pieces and you'll find a pic of the Passenger Comfort Seat.....currently it's listed at £124.....I spoke nicely to the supplying dealer and I got it down to a ton with no effort........

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 2
  7. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    The seat on the LT and 1700 bikes is meant to be fantastic.
    I have the comfort seat on my 1600 with a back rest.
    It's fandabidosi in my view. I thought the backrest looked silly when I first got it. Infact I said to the sales person that will be coming off. Not in a million years now that really makes a big difference, great support for your back. :D
    So not sure if the comfort seat will improve matters much on the LT. If it doesn't have the back support get one of those, you'll love it.

• Like Like x 3
  8. baldybiker

baldybiker Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hertford
    Whilst you seem to have made a decision. All I can tell you is that I tried the out the rider seat on the Storm. It reminded me of the Speedmaster comfort wise. The Commander seat (which is the same as the LT seems to be very comfy to me. I have only had a test ride so far but it was good. The point I'm getting to is that the pillion seat is also obviously more substantial as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Gary,

...thanks for the heads up about the benefits of the backrest....

....pleased to say the LT we've bought has got the back rest and Mrs dickydido loves it as much as you so no way will it be taken off the bike!.....

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 2
  10. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Not sure if you mean me? My bike came with the comfort seat on it. No original so haven't tried the normal seat.
    As to the backrest I was very sceptical about it at first really thought it looked stupid and made me look daft.
    Went for a run that weekend and was amazed at how much support it gave. Certainly makes riding more enjoyable for me and more comfortable.
    Sad to say I do get back pain quite easily. This cured it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. baldybiker

baldybiker Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hertford
    Didn't realise yours was new as well, congratulations!

• Like Like x 1
  12. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi baldybiker,

.....I agree, the front seat on the LT is fabulously comfy, that lumber support bit especially..........but the passenger seat on it is not the same quality or have the same resilience to deformation or offer the same 'buttock support'....well, that's what I reckon after giving it the dickydido pressing my fist really hard into it test!.......

......and believe me, to get and keep Mrs dickydido coming out as a passenger I need to make sure her derrière is comfy......she is a girl who likes to rough it smoothly!......in the big scheme of things, spending another 100 quid to help keep her more comfy seemed a small outlay versus the big gains I hope it brings.

...I read somewhere the comfort seat has additional layers of some kind of 'netting' and better foam that helps 'spread the load' so you don't get those horrible burny pressure points on your arse that we've all probably experienced when we've been in the saddle too long....I guess it's a bit like the start of pressure bed sores....

....apart from being an additional income stream.....you have to ask why Triumph did not put the comfort passenger seat on as standard on a bike that currently costs over 15 grand new and is their (current) top cruiser touring bike!.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. baldybiker

baldybiker Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Hertford
    Aha, thats disappointing after your scientific test. Mrs Baldybiker would be the same as as your good lady and I too would be prepared to shell out for a suitable seat. I will wait to see what transpires with my steed seatwise. I was unaware there was this option seatwise. It's good to know.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks for that, I've had a look. Can't see much difference between the comfy and the stock seat, so your pictures and ride report would be much appreciated.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  15. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Wessa,

....I felt the same.....looked almost identical in size, length, breadth and thickness from the pic......just (I hope) down to better materials used in its construction....

....no worries......I'll get my passenger of choice to give feedback about it straight from her ar........eeerrrr!.......mouth after she has a few miles under her 'cheeks'!........

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good man.....

17. Stevie

Stevie Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Cincinnati OH
    Saw the ride, I approve, does look familiar.:) Enjoy your cruiser!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Wessa,

.....found this short video on You Tube.....shows the Comfort Seat on a LT......to me it does look deeper and a bit wider than the standard passenger seat and they speak about the different foam and the mesh construction.....

......I'll be able to verify all this speculation very soon....'Chester' is being delivered this coming Sunday.....really looking forward to that!.....

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep that is a useful little video. I like the look for the comfort seat, it does look a bit more robust than the standard. Not sure that I can justify it though as most of my riding is done solo. Still you never know.
    Thanks Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  20. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Just out of interest do any of you guys have the auxiliary lights and heated grips fitted?
    Triumph heated grips that is.
    Thinking of getting the aux lights but have the Triumph heated grips fitted so wasn't sure if you can have both on at the same time.

• Like Like x 1