Featured Lsr

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by speedrattle, Jun 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    my bike ate a wheel bearing

[​IMG]

could have been nasty

[​IMG]

but i will steal the rear wheel from the track bike project and come back in six weeks

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    and a good time was had by all

[​IMG]

even by my lovely wife, who got to watch her babies do the ton

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a brilliant, informative, and fun thread, @speedrattle! Thanks for taking the time and energy to share your family and your racing and travel adventures. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #44 speedrattle, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    i'm going back in six weeks, and maybe taking the number three son.

there's all sorts of stuff that goes on that i don't have time to document, because i'm raciong, or testing, or helping the kids.

i've got some videos that i'll see about posting. nobody crashed, but some people blew up

if you don't blow up every now and then you aren't going fast enough

also i have to get a smaller sprocket for the ninja. stock is 45 teeth, and the kids were bouncing off the rev limiter at 104 last year. so i put on a 43, and this year the ran 105 in still air, and 108 with the tail wind.

i'm going to bring a 41 tooth sprocket with me, just in case there's a tailwind. if i had had one to put on tis time, they could have run the little bike to 109 or 110, which woul dbe unobtainable without both the sporockewt and the wind.

but you have to be there, and you have to be ready. there's no substitute for showing up prepared. it's how you set the records.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa

im trying to ind the video of the 269 mph chevrolet blowing up its moror

• Like Like x 3
  6. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    here it is. ost the transmission

heres the boy.

• Like Like x 4
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Great vids, the Triumph starting at the end of first one was the best bit :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iron

Iron Ranty Has-been
    Subscriber

Dec 31, 2020
    Bristol
    #48 Iron, Jul 26, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    Yep, great videos. But there's even better ones on SR's channel. (Ooops did I say that or did I just think it).
    Sorry mate, but that 650 is really something else and needs to be shown off. I love the BSA cutting on the throttle opening and the chuckle that goes with it. (I didn't really get the trumpet getting up the hill though).
    And there's fluffy bitey things, snow, ice, trucks and cats on there too. Go give them all a look see.

Going to go off and hide now. :neutral: Over

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #49 speedrattle, Jul 27, 2021 at 10:44 PM
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021 at 10:59 PM
    riding the bike up the hill was a detonation test. the hill is 18 to 19 percent. my triumph is 9.5 to 1 with dual plugs, running as slow as i can make it go in as high a gear as it will pull. the tank is full of 87 octane, lowest grade unleaded and the bike never pings.

that bike doesnt ever ping, no matter how much i lug it or how bad the fuel. and it still goes 117 mph on worn rings

the fluffy bitey things are orphans wr raised last spring. raccoons and american opossums. chocolate chip cookies arebtheir preferred diet

• Like Like x 2
  10. Iron

Iron Ranty Has-been
    Subscriber

Dec 31, 2020
    Bristol
    Good on you and yours for helping out the orphans. My preferred diet is also chocolate chip cookies :)

All the stuff we thought we knew should have that bike detonating the gudgeon pins out of the piston. You've obviously looked at the pistons knowing that the rings are worn. No signs of detonation? How bloody confusing is that. :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  11. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    its because the head has four plugs, two 14mm normal and two 12mm inboard. i run two dynatek dual lead coils in series, with an ancient mk3 boyer, so all the plugs fire at once every 360 degrees. i have the timing set at 30 btdc, which makes idle timing too retarded, but i have some resistors im going to test that will let me reduce the total advance.

i also have a four plug head on my race bike that doesnt detonate at 11.75 to 1 and 110 octane, using 10mm inner plugs at 30btdc. on the two plug head there was pecking at the piston crowns running 38btdc. its a magneto, which makes ignition unusual, but it runs just fine

• Like Like x 2
  12. Iron

Iron Ranty Has-been
    Subscriber

Dec 31, 2020
    Bristol
    #52 Iron, Jul 29, 2021 at 12:27 AM
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021 at 12:33 AM
    Ah, ok twin plugs and reduced advance timing. Less burn time and more spark to ensure it all burns properly.

I'm just happy that mine run ok - mostly. I get upset when the Geezer over the road revs his bike on start up. I got really upset when I took one of my bikes to a Dyno - it was all I could do not to stop the bloke who was trying to blow it up. I was glad to get it off that machine.

Getting more power and faster was easily solved when I was younger. I bought a Jap bike. I like to poodle about now and shine up the paintwork. :) More power to your elbow (and your bike). Over.

13. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    i have an older buell for when i want stupid. i used to run a 74 trident pretty hard until it poked a rod through the cases. my 72 is not special, but its had some serious upgrades over the 40-plus years ive owned it. when i just want to go fast i go the races and get it all out of my system there.

ive never dynoed the race bike. tried once but melted the clutch pushrod at both ends. a friend of mine who is slower gets around 65 rear wheel horsepower on his. he has more torque, but i spin mine higher.