Thruxton Low Comfort Seat

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by TonyG, Dec 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

The one extra item I purchased for my new Thruxton was a low comfort seat. I ordered it off the internet and it arrived today. It looks lovely, have no idea if it is actually more comfortable yet, and seems fractionally lower. My only gripe is that it leaves about a 1/4 inch gap between the tip of the seat and the rear of the tank. The curve of the seat to the tank looks perfect, just this gap. The original seat butts up against the tank. Is this gap normal? If I didn't directly compare to the standard seat I probably wouldn't notice.

Cheers

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    514E2D6B-C66F-457A-A68D-4AE62E46DD1F.jpeg Is it the same as mine?

3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hard to tell, looks similar, could push my fingertip into the gap. Just that the stock seat butted up right against the tank. Water would clearly run down the gap. I'm probably being a little precious about about it really!

4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #4 Glyn Phillips, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Mine seems to have a gap too, I just thought it was because the tank strap takes a little space, so couldn’t tell what the gap was caused by. Or if it was there beforehand

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Stop wingeing the gap will prevent the tank from being rubbed, the paint won't get worn/damaged ! It takes time but it will happen, my 09 America has paint worn right through by the std seat rubbing it away !!!

6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Am I being too sensitive?

Probably......

SAM_0752.JPG

SAM_0753.JPG

7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mines pretty much the same so I wouldn’t worry too much

8EFF67DD-1810-4488-AA92-1AF0BC206F7A.jpeg

8. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks Glyn,

Have you got your one back together yet?

I've done my back in and can't even lift mine off the side stand, at least the weather is crap, I'd not be too happy if it was dry.

9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    No not yet,
    I finish work tomorrow for two weeks and I’ll refit the suspension and fit the nose fairing over the break

• Like Like x 1
  10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Mate that sounds more like you’re whinging about your paint to me!

11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Not winging at all, pointing out what will happen ! It happened to my Triumph Bonneville America and to a lesser degree to a 2000 Sprint, before I spotted the problems and taped the area up , but on the America the tape wore through as well ! I don't winge about wear and tear on my bikes. But when I see you guys on here getting pedantic about appearance on your pride and joy. Which some of the forum members really go over the top ! I will mention some of the pit falls that aren't obvious, wings about a gap and there is a reason for it, paint rubbing away would be one ? When seat's are now made with thick plastics and nylon bases they flex , especially with the weight of the rider moving about "as you ride" the flex causes wear !!

12. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Well, I'll comment any way I like on what is to me a massive investment. As it happens it wasn't a whinge, it was a question. I didn't complain just asked if it was normal as the seat it came with butted right up against tank. I got some very helpful replies, including yours minus the whinge comment, and I'm quite happy.

• Like Like x 1