Featured Low Boy Baffle Removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Rocker, Jul 9, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    Yes. I've just done it with my battery drill and angled grinding stone. Now I need to sort something to pull the baffle out with

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Use a hammer handle and move from side to side it should loosen and come out

3. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    Thanks. I'd actually just figured that out and did it before reading your message. It sounds great!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    They do sound much better but I think the midrange suffers a little but 2 teeth up on the back sprocket helps with that

5. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    I was wondering about that after my ride yesterday. I need to do a back-to-back test in and out. The other option is to cut the baffle right down and fix it back in.

6. _Paweł_

_Paweł_ New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Poland
    Ok , I did it !!! I used both methods. First I tried with dremmel but i didn't see the line so I removed end cap and I used heavier tool ;)
    I think than the most important in Rocker description is to use hammer handle and to try often move side to side. It should be written by red bold font ;)
    After all i think that sound without baffle is great !!! I didn't noticed suffering midrange. To check it i gave my bike to local tuner and finally bought rapid bike racing with my tuning bike module :) So now i have BMC Filter, Arrow LowBoy (without baffle), and rapid bike :)

Zrzut ekranu 2017-09-11 o 17.21.34.png

Zrzut ekranu 2017-09-11 o 17.21.06.png

Zrzut ekranu 2017-09-11 o 17.20.53.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi mate,

What does the rapid bike allow you to do?

8. _Paweł_

_Paweł_ New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Poland
    Hi

It has planty of features. TOTAL control of air/fueling. For me most important was autoadaptive options but im also happy with for example engine braking setup. Big tool.

Read please this:
    https://rapidbike.us/about

9. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Advanced stuff!

10. Richie Speed

Richie Speed New Member

May 11, 2018
    U.K.
    Hi guys,

Sorry for reactivating an old thread!

Quick question for those that have done this, I am contemplating it at the moment, have you all stuck with the baffle removed after or did you end up putting it back in?

And what size self tappers would you reccomend replacing the rivets with for the end cap? Not sure what size the rivet holes are once drilled out but was obviously wanting to put the smallest self tapper possible in etc.

Cheers

Rich

11. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    I kept it out... What's not to love about this...? :grinning:
    (I tried uploading the video, but it was too big)
    Oh and I did it without removing the carbon fibre. Just used a drill with a grinding stone
    Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  12. Richie Speed

Richie Speed New Member

May 11, 2018
    U.K.
    Haha, that's brilliant! Mine already pops flames but they are more the little blue/purple ones of the excess fuel.

So are the welds on the inside of the pipe? As I was under the impression they were on the outside hence requiring the removal of the end cap?

Cheers

Rich

13. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    The baffle is welded all away around, but you can’t actually see the weld. The end is double thicknesss, so you can separate the two by using a tapered grinding bit on a drill and carefully remove metal until you see a definite line all around which means the two parts are separated. Then wiggle a hammer shaft in the to loosen it and tease it out. This picture might help...

3AD59AE8-E30E-45CA-932A-7110263487CA.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Butcher:joy::joy::joy::joy:

15. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    ... I have my moments
    ‍♂️ I have my moments...

41F44F25-4D20-468E-B3AA-69A679D45BB8.jpeg

8CB765B5-DB5F-434E-BEBB-33434EEAAA88.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    Hello everyone,

sorry to go back an old post ...
    and for my english ... I'm french

This post is very interesting!

I have a Speed Triple RS Crystal White :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I have a quick question, you've removed the big baffle, but the cape too with the small 5mm hole?

I wonder if I just have to remove the cap with the 5mm hole or remove the big baffle too
    I'm afraid of making too much noise

Thank you very much !

17. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    you can never make too much noise I drilled rivets out with 3mm drill filed weld down until I saw join lines and prised out the baffle drilled a 6mm hole and jb metal welded a nut into place ,as others have done this will allow ypu to put baffle in should you need to ,hope this helps

exhaust1.JPG

exhaust2.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  18. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    thank you for your reply

On the Speed RS I have 2 baffle, the first big tube and the second at the bottom is a round plate welded all around the exhaust with a small hole of 5mm.

I want to know if I remove the "big baffle" I must remove the small round plate with the small hole too ?

thank you very much