Louis Motors

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by Tallpaul, Dec 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Anyone used this outlet for parts and accessories? They appear to operate from Europe and claim to pay vat and carriage included in the advertised price. Looks to good to be true.............Any bad experiences or advice please.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i bought something from them a few years ago and everything was fine,but that was before brexit.Are they saying they will pay the "other" charge that we now have to pay if buying in Europe as well as the VAT & carriage?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    It's a German retailer. They have pretty descent stuff. I order from them quite often. Can't attest for the tax stuff of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    the import duty can be a lot of money, iv'e stopped looking at european suppliers now as ive heard some horror stories re the charges

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    No mention of "the other charge", and first time I have heard of it.............

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    That makes me nervous. I'm looking to change my intercom and Louis appear to be £60 cheaper than UK suppliers. Having said that, Sportsbike Shop just emailed a 10% discount voucher so I think I will go with them. Thanks for the rapid responses chaps.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    probaly a good idea just to buy in the UK at the moment,it's a shame as you were able to get bargains from europe but with the customs/import now it can work out more expensive

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    But just think of all the amazing advantages we gained in exchange for having to pay a lot more for products from the EU! :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    On the UK portal:
    upload_2021-12-13_18-51-25.png

They probably have a UK legal entity, even if the stock comes from germany

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    It may work like the "Hong Kong"-based camera shops such e-Infinity and Panamoz. They ship a container over at their cost, sorting out all the import/VAT and such, and fulfill the orders from a UK warehouse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #11 brown mouse, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    I recently spent a large amount of money with them (1200 quid :eek:) and can say the buying experience was very good, about same as ordering from UK. They are UK VAT registered and say they deal with the import duty, and I can say that appears to be true as the goods arrived in 3 days with no hassle.

I ended up returning the items and that was straight forward too, using prepaid return service and drop off at local post office. The only difference with UK returns was that there is also customs paperwork to print off.

However, one thing to be aware of is that whilst the web site shows prices in pounds sterling, your credit card is billed in Euros, which means your card company may also charge a separate foreign transaction fee (mine did, but I understand there are some which don't). Note, the £ amount on the credit card bill was what Louis said, so included the correct exchange rate, I just got this extra fee.

More importantly, refunds appear to be handled as crediting the Euro price you paid, which means that will also incur another charge from the card company, as well as loosing out on the exchange rate differences at the time and the buy/sell spread built into these things. All told I think that all cost me 80 quid (on that 1200 quid order).

I was ordering kit that wasn't available in the UK so considered it worth the risk, but probably wouldn't do it again for purchases where I thought I may want to return.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    My experience is the items are sent direct using DHL with hand off to Parcelforce in the UK, with online tracking for both, and it takes two or three days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Thanks for all the replies. I am a little risk averse, so ordered from Sportsbikeshop. Interesting experiences you have all had though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Taking into account what @brown mouse was saying about potential credit card charges at both ends of a purchase/return deal, I opened a Starling bank account a while back. You can then have a Euro account, transfer between the two at a very competitive rate, and switch from Euro to Sterling on your debit card in app. Extremely useful tool if you conduct transactions frequently in Euros. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2