Loud Pipes..yes Or No

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Apr 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    We call that a SMIDSY here (sorry mate I didn't see you) its very common, I think we even have an insurance company called SMIDSY

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes @Sandi T it does not matter how careful you are, there are those who will do their best to take you out. Observation, observation and more observation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    No, but I generally wear a white helmet

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    She was on her phone. The idle to stop, slowing on a straight road, or weaving are all phone behaviour.:tired_face:
    I used to think it was alcohol until most stopped drinking and driving, but the behaviour continued.:mad:
    My riding partner regularly batters drivers windows to alert them to the fact they nearly took me out and I have 3 DLR lights and pipes that aren’t quiet :cool:
    A great advert here said “if you want to stop killing motorcyclists, open your eyes and stay off your f&&ken phone” :p
    Rant over o_O

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, I completely agree, @Dartplayer. Perhaps the phones are even worse than alcohol as those on phones aren't even trying to look like they're driving well whereas I'd wager than most drivers who've been drinking are trying hard to make their driving look like that of someone sober. :(:mad:

Help Save a Biker.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Wow are we digressing slightly from loud pipes, myself I have one fitted (not the loudest) as I just love the sound plain and simple for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    giphy.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    I suppose there IS at least one scenario when a louder can save injury/life.. A car has broken down just after a bend, middle of nowhere, and whilst people there are trying to ease the situation, a motorbike approaches the bend, out of sight. Someone hears the bike coming and crosses the road to a better position to flag down approaching bike, and any other quiet vehicle also approaching bend... Maybe the stricken vehicle's occupants hadn't thought of the traffic situation, and now, thanks to a louder can, they are aware of their responsibility regarding such... None of us are perfect, we all annoy someone.. Mt TBS sounds lovely as is, but my fantastic zzr600 was very quiet until I fitted a couple of black widow cans... Look great, sound good, but not too loud.. Happy medium.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Loud pipes are just loud.

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well, you can wear Hi-Viz but...

"If he didn't see me, what chance have you got?"

Sussex Police posted this recently as a warning to other drivers/motorcyclists to be aware after some muppet drove into a parked police car then claimed he didn't see it!

239041383.jpg.gallery.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    When asked, by non-motorcyclists, about loud bikes, I ask "do you hear or see a bike first?"
    The question is always answered by the expression of realisation on their face.
    Personally I think loud pipes help, but there's a lot more to being seen and safe than just noise.
    It takes all the senses to be aware......although I'm not convinced that they'd be pleased to smell me coming.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    The general balance on here seems to be against loud pipes as they're anti social but I think maybe the general population expects bikes to be a bit loud and puts up with it. Unless they've had a bad day. On the other hand where I think they do help is when it comes to pedestrians. They can hear loud bikes approaching and will not cross the road for example. So I suppose I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Horses shouldn't be on roads. Always leaving piles of shit everywhere. Very dangerous especially when flattened and wet.

15. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yet a dog shit a fraction of the size, everyone goes mental about picking it up :rolleyes:

16. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Good point. I'd like to see horse riders compelled to pick up their horse's doo doo.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yeah same here, bags of shit left laying everywhere... it would be better left alone than to be bagged and left. Owners probably lift it when someone is watching then chuck it when out of sight. At least it decomposes when its not in a bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    Horse riders have to take a test before riding on the road... Presumably she should have the appropriate training to prepare the animals, when warned in advance of an approaching bike.... Unlike the suddenly almost deafening roar of an RAF tornado.... ✈️