Trophy Loose Mirror Fix.

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Grumpyintheshed, Jun 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Grumpyintheshed

Jun 9, 2017
    Nr. Swansea, Wales.
    For no other reason than it took my eye, first job on the newly acquired Trophy fix the wobbly mirrors.

In case its of any use to others this is how I went about it. I tried two variations of effectively the same fix. They both work.

Remove mirror from bike.

Firstly I tried just tapping down the star clip with a suitable sized socket but this did not work so...

Hold mirror securely in a vice (with soft jaws)

IMG_0777.jpg

Slowly and carefully prise of Jesus clip with a small pry bar (flat bladed screwdriver), careful not to bend it out of shape. It'll take a little while but its simple enough to do. Place a cloth over the clip as you get near the release point, or you'll find out why we call them Jesus clips.

Lift off mirror and cupped washers and take note of their orientation. There are ball bearings in the base of the mirror make sure they don't drop out - mine were not loose but thought I'd mention it.

IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0780.jpg

Give the mounting post etc a clean, and a copper greasing.

Method1: Replace one of the cupped washers with a thicker washer of the same size, see first pic.

Method 2: Pop a dome headed (6mm ?) Allen bolt in a vice and place the cupped washer on top. Using an old socket of appropriate size placed over the washer and tap the washer so it becomes a little more cupped. They're not that strong so a few taps is all thats needed.
    repeat with the other three washers.

IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0784.jpg

Re-assemble.

Tap star/ Jesus clip on with 13mm socket. Ideally a new one but if the old ones came off undamaged re-use them, I did and all seems ok.

IMG_0786.jpg

Job done!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Glad to see you got your priorities right, trying to put your makeup on with with dodgy mirrors is a nightmare :p. Nice job

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    A couple of nice little fixes there grumpy.
    In this throw away age and a general lack of people learning practical things, it's good to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yep good post Grumpy very informative well explained and best of all pictures, :)
    We do love pictures on here :cool::cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I can't wait for my mirrors to get loose now;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grumpyintheshed

Jun 9, 2017
    Nr. Swansea, Wales.
    Late Update:
    The fix without the extra washer was only good to about 85mph, then it folded in o_O
    Of course I found this out when I went on a private track just before selling the bike. :p

I remedied this with fix No:3 , an M5 (IIRC) nut (nyloc) and bolt (button head) of appropriate length with big washers through the hole thats already there, allowing you to tighten your mirror to your desired stiffness.

FYI Your local Screwfix now sell a small amount of stainless nuts and bolts at very reasonable prices which are great for those little repairs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1