Scrambler Loose Chain

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Nickhall, Apr 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nickhall

Nickhall Active Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Bedford
    On a ride out with Rich Bryce yesterday and we both agreed the chain on my street scrambler looked a bit loose so I nipped down to the Triumph Woburn today and they tensioned it very slightly (for free - thanks guys!) but Paul told me the chains on street scramblers are supposed to be a bit loose because of the long swing arm to back wheel has a lot of travel and if too tight can cause damage to the gear sprockets when wheel bounces up and down.

2. WIDGIN

WIDGIN New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    They were correct that bikes with longer suspension travel require looser chains. My 955 Tiger needed very slack chain due to swing arm travel.

However, adjusting the chain tension is something that every rider should be able to do themselves. It’s ridiculously simple.

3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    My Sprint GT is a maximum of 35mm. Previous bikes I have owned have been 25mm. Better too slack than too tight. As an aside, you should check it visually each time you go out - along with brake lights and tyres. Mind you - I have to say, the tool kit that came with my Sprint was cr*p and I have never seen so few tools in a bike kit. Maybe I'm old school.

4. WIDGIN

WIDGIN New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha My Street Scrambler came with one Allen wrench behind a side panel as it's tool kit. Seriously?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Agree very simple. But one note. I use this tool to ensure the chain is aligned properly. Does not cost very much. I used the swing arm marks on my street twin to align, then checked w/ tool. It was not perfectly straight using swing arm marks alone. The tool is recommended for perfect chain alignment which will help get the most out of your chain.

upload_2019-1-19_8-33-53.png

• Like Like x 4
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Good bit of kit. Where did you get it from, and what's it called?

7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #7 Glyn Phillips, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Until you get one, after adjustment stick the bike on a stand and get someone else to spin the wheel.
    You should be able to see if it’s a long way off

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    thanks. But I've just realised I've been a bit thick as my Sprint has single sided swing-arm with eccentric adjuster! However, I'd be keen to know if anyone has advise about this and making sure wheel is true - or is it factory set and that's it?

10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Factory set on SSSA

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    What DD said is the correct way to adjust the chain on a bike - someone sat on it while you adjust it or vice versa. Failing that, if on your own, leave the bike on the side stand - do not adjust whilst on the centre stand (if even fitted) - this will get you pretty close.
    You're lucky with the Scrambler having high level pipes, otherwise the silencer has to be removed before you can get to the rear wheel nut on the Bonneville. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    thx mate

13. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I like these and use one myself!

• Like Like x 1