Looking For First Bike

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Dr_Tam, Aug 19, 2019.

1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Dr Tan.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome fella, good luck with your search :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    No. I think triumphs are nice bikes. But they do have a lot of faults. And what I said about riding though winter on a Triumph is true. And it would be better to buy a cheaper bike for the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    Welcome to the forum.
    Nice to see another Scotlandshire person on board!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    We are not going to lock horns mate.I have better things to do and really do not care what your opinion is and you should not care what my opinion is. But there seams a lot that agreed with me. And guessing a lot that don’t. That’s why it’s called an opinion. That’s me finished on this subject. Have a good evening

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    #26 joe mc donald, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Dr_Tam
    Welcome to the family. Seems we have some members who really should not be riding triumphs the way they talk. What I say is test the bikes. The street twin is a very capable bike and is easy to ride. Really some members buy bikes and think its triumphs fault when they are to bloody lazy to clean and treat the machines. Here is a 2010 I own. I ride it right up to the frosty weather then swap to a tatty honda not because I worry about corrosion but I don't want to drop it and lose it.
    Regards
    Joe IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0823.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Absolutely, you go buy what you fancy. Your money, your choice. Triumphs are no better or no worse than any of the jap bikes. I rode mine all year round.
    Good advice to avoid the spokes wheels one, as the spokes and chrome rims not great at staying corrosion free.

@Englishbandit why the hell are you on a Triumph Forum ??? If you have such a low opinion of the brand, maybe you'd be better off on the bandit forum.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    I do not have a low opinion of the brand. I had a tiger 800 and street triple both cracking bikes. In fact I would have another tiger 800 in a hart beat. But Triumph do seam to have some major problems at the moment with some models. To. Be honest the build quality is as good as any make, if not better than most. My opinion of riding the triumph the lad was on about as an everyday commuting bike was honest about not riding one though winter (just my opinion) My main gripe has been with the speed triple I bought and the shop I bought it from. For a bike with only 4800 miles and really is as new condition to need a new clutch, pos new discs plus one or two other issues really is not good. And seams there has been a lot of disc problem over the last few years And we won’t get started on the quick shifters problems people are having. So to make it clear I do not hate Triumphs if I did I would not have bought a 3rd one. I Am just very disappointed that a top brand main dealer sold a bike that was not ready for the road by a long shot. Then I have to go mad at them to do anything about it. That I should not have to do.It should have been sorted out ASAP not we can not fit it in for a month when I have just bought it from them and not been able to use it.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, DrTam! You've landed in a great community. I agree with Callumity that you could get more helpful and tailored advice from forum members if you provide a bit more info about your riding experience, whether you will have another vehicle for bad weather conditions, your nearest dealership for service/maintenance etc.

Also, there are always many used bikes out there! I also agree with Vulpes' comment to "buy what you like". Taking into account those other variables of course. But if a T100 really stirs you and you've taken all those variables into account--your experience, your motorcycling needs, maintenance, etc. then go for it.

Another option to get a bike that you consider a transition bike to gain experience on both with becoming a more proficient rider as well as the realities of commuting. Then when you're ready you could trade for the bike that you really like and that works for you. Good luck with your decision! Please let us know what you decide to do. And photos are always appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And just be careful riding around at night. My late father was from Crieff......

Mystery in the Sma’ Glen 1926

[​IMG]
    The old Foulford Inn.
    It was a quiet night in the Foulford Inn on the night of the 9th of October 1926. Outside it was blowing a gale, two men stood at the bar, grateful to be inside, where it was warm and dry.

Elizabeth Gorrie the 24-year-old daughter of the owners of the inn was sitting in the parlour when she thought she heard some shouting outside, she was sure someone was shouting “hey”this happened three times. Elizabeth went to the bar and told her mother, they ran outside to see a horse-drawn delivery van standing directly in front of the inn. Slumped in front was 63-year-old Alexander Chalmers from 7 West High Street Crieff. Chalmers worked for D & J McEwen in Crieff and would travel up the Sma’ Glen and along Glenquaich acting as a mobile grocers shop.

Elizabeth her mother and father John Gorrie who had also heard three cries of “hey” while he was working in the stables at the rear of the inn helped the injured man from the van. Blood poured down the delivery-mans face from a deep cut above his right eye Chalmers stated that he had been attacked in the glen, saying “they hit me on the head with something”. He also stated that he had been at a dance the previous night. Alexander Chalmers was carried into the Foulford Inn, where he again told off being attacked this time saying his attackers had hit him with one of his lanterns. He then died from his injuries.

A Dr. William Haig from Crieff and Perth’s Dr. Wickenden carried out a post-mortem they stated that the cause of death was loss of blood, together with concussion and shock. The injuries consisted of a cut above the right eye; two puncture wounds to the back of the head and bruising on top of the head and a cut on the left hand. Whatever had struck Chalmers on the face had been done in a downward motion.

It was thought that a passing car might have hit Chalmers while he was standing by the road lighting his lamps causing him to spin around and hit his head on the van, or the storm caused a flying tree branch to hit him and that might account for the wounds to the head.

At the inquiry held on the 14th of January 1927 a unanimous verdict of accidental death was reached.

But was Alexander Chalmers killed by a serious of unfortunate events? Did a passing car clip him causing him to spin around and hit his van or did a flying tree branch smash a lamp into his face as he was lighting it? Elizabeth stated at the inquest into the death that Chalmers always lit the lamps whilst sitting in the van, she stated that he took the lamps from their brackets and tucking one under his arm lit them, so he did not get out of the van to light the lamps, both doctors had agreed that the wound to the face could not have occurred whilst Chalmers was seated.

Although badly injured and rambling when pulled out of his van at the Foulford Inn on the night of the 9th of October. He Stated he had been to a dance when he had not, he also said two or three times that he had been attacked, he was not so delirious as to not know the name of the owner of the Foulford Inn calling him John and asking for his horse to be taken care off. The two lamps were found, one lying at the side of the road, the other 500 yards away on the road to Buchanty a route the delivery van had not taken.

[​IMG]
    The road to Buchanty.
    Was the death of Alexander Chalmers due to a freak accident or had he been attacked by someone or perhaps something supernatural, was he attacked by a “Mist Man”? The Dundee Evening Telegraph dated on the 16th of May 1927, some seven months after the death of Chalmers tells a strange story. Under the heading “The Mist-Man in the Sma’ Glen” the writer tells of an eerie experience he and his friend witnessed in the Sma’ Glen. The two men who were cycling in the glen when they were caught up in a dense mist one of them looked around and saw quite clearly a tall man wearing a long overcoat walking over the moor about 50 yards away. The man leaving his bike ran towards the stranger who had disappeared behind a small hillock. When the cyclist rounded the mound there was no sign of the strange man, there was nowhere he could have hidden, no trees or buildings just bleak, desolate moorland. He could see clearly for 200 yards in every direction. The man in the long coat had just vanished into thin air. It was no trick of the light or figment of the imagination as both the cyclists had seen the stranger. In an atmosphere of menace, both cyclists mounted their bikes and “lost no time in getting away”.

Whatever happened to Alexander Chalmers be it an accident or something more sinister, the incident in the Sma’ Glen one stormy night in 1926 will remain a mystery.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Englishbandit

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    They do have more problems than other brands. and as I said I would not ride one though winter and would be better off buying a cheaper bike for winter riding. you would lose a lot of money. If you bought a good/ pricey Triumph then rode it though winter. .And the main dealers are a rip off. Yes my tiger and street triple were good bikes (only had street triple 2 months it was to slow and tiger for 4 months, Tiger was really nice). I know lots of lads that have had Triumphs and one or 2 that still have them, and most if not all of them say the same thing nice bikes but not cheap to fix when they go wrong and they do more often than not. And if you have to have the 12,000 mile service done with Triumph (shims as well) you are looking at a bill of £650 on a tiger and that's a rip off in my opinion. Lets put this to bed, as I and I am sure you have better things to do. And as the Triumph has just been picked up so that's me done with Triumph thank feck. Everyone ride and keep safe

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If you like the look of the T100 i would go with that,i've never ridden one but i imagine it would be an easy bike to ride for a beginner:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    The Sma glen is a road i'm on often but i've never heard that story before,the cyclist were probably under the influence and seeing things! The Inns been closed for a number of years, i think it's the clubhouse for the adjoining golf course now

• Like Like x 2
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My Dad would have been 9 or 10 at the time so you can imagine it excited his imagination! It’s a grand run over from Kenmore via Glen Quaich then down to Gilmerton.......

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
    Offend.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Your right it is a lovely area to ride, I normally come up from Dunfermline through Creiff then onto the small glen eventually over to Dunkeld etc, lovely!!! but saying that your spoilt for choice down Biggar way some wonderful roads around you, Moffat, Peebles etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i used to fish on Loch Freuchie which is situated in Glen Quaich,i've only been down that way a few times on the bike though as it's a narrow single track road..not my favourite kind of road

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Some great roads out your way as well Dougie D, I always enjoy Perth to Blair and then onward to Braemar etc lovely twisty roads and such a beautiful area

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah we are spoilt up here, the A93 is a cracker right enough:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Indeed, one of those short stretches for tootling along, giving the suspension a workout and taking in the views in between faster, flowing roads. Seldom much on it unlike the A roads.

• Agree Agree x 1