Featured Touring Long Weekend To Wales

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Cyborgbot, Sep 8, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @PatW have to agree that Wales is a beautiful country and I love travelling there.
    On the second home issue I fear it is more complex an issue than just English (or other) people buying up properties causing the problem. The small cottage that my son purchased in a small village had been on the market for over twelve months with only one viewing during that time. Nobody local wanted it.
    The owner was Welsh born in the village and was extremely pleased to sell to an English family.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #22 Cyborgbot, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    ;)
    I’m glad I didn’t meet you. Bundle of laughs… Just kidding

Do you think the ability to buy a home is any easier for our kids. For a laugh have a look at house prices in the South East - try Guildford or Kingston. A detached single garage sells for more than a house in Wales. You will soon realise what being priced out of the market really means. Our kids in nasty England get paid peanuts too. There’s no discrimination - if there is, it’s against the English kids.

Getting rich people (of any nationality) to live in remote parts of Wales means they will need to spend their money to exist, thus providing local jobs. They will encourage businesses to start and be maintained. It will stimulate the economy. Keep communities together.

I can’t imagine the property the average rich newcomer will buy will be the same stock that a first time buyer will be wanting… They will be the opposite end of the housing spectrum, and there are loads of derelict houses/farms that would benefit from a rich newcomer buying them as the locals can’t be arsed. A newcomer will spend thousands employing local tradesmen to do up their crap barn, again providing employment.

I agree with @Wessa - people across the globe have been migrating from villages to towns as the young follow jobs and social engagement.

It’s easy to pick on the English but this happens everywhere. Look at Japan - the rural communities are often approaching retirement age with no young families as the have moved to the cities. Schools closing everywhere. Empty houses and businesses folding etc. Nothing to do with the English. The same trend is happening nearly everywhere around the globe.

Blaming the English is just nationalistic propaganda.

As for buying houses, is that a unique thing for the UK? We seem to want to sign up for an indefinite debt and mortgage to live in the same boring home and would incur crippling costs from lawyers, estate agents and stamp duties etc should we wish to move. In Europe I believe a lot more people rent. It’s more acceptable. Citation is needed maybe @Hubaxe and confirm if the French rent or buy. The benefits are that you can move around try new places to live and makes the move far more affordable. The tenant has considerable protection against dodgy landlords and rent rises.

Our house prices are bonkers - massively over valued.

Being cynical about tourists is even worse. I bet lots of seaside and tourist hotspots are deserted out of season. Sensible people would welcome the influx of visitors and their cash - and not be so rude about it.

I’m beginning to wonder if the League of Gentlemen was not a black comedy but instead a documentary…

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    A little ironic that an Irishman who bought a house in Wales is complaining about people from other countries coming in and buying houses :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. PatW

PatW Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Ironically I didn't buy a house in Wales, I married a Welsh girl. I know all about inflation of house prices as I used to live in Somerset, just outside Bath. My tongue was firmly in my cheek, perhaps I should have put LOL on the end for the intellectually challenged, LOL. If so much money is coming into Wales from buy to let and second homes, why is Wales one of the poorest areas in GB, Alongside Cornwall another tourist hot-spot that has lots of empty holiday properties, second homes and low wages? I'll try to make sure I avoid contentious subjects in the future, even in jest, so Croeso y Gymru.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I was with you and the content of your post until you added “on the end for the intellectually challenged, LOL” statement. When I posted about my son’s property I was trying to articulate that the problem is more complex than you had eluded.
    I’m unsure why you felt the need to suggest those that responded where intellectually challenged. Bit of a red rag to a bull mate :):). Never mind we all live and learn.

• Like Like x 4
  6. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Perhaps Mr Drakeford could arrange for all the local Welsh Councils to be given enough money to buy up local housing when it becomes free. It could then be sold/rented to local Welsh people at affordable (to them) prices.
    No, I don't think that's going to happen either.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Royston Jones

Royston Jones New Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Strensall York
    Great photos. Was it North or South Wales.

8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Close - but mainly mid Wales in pics

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    This thread took a bit of a turn!
    Anyhow I'm off to "copy and paste!" Llanwrtyd Wells this weekend with a buddy of mine, looking like proper British weather but this is the only time we could manage.
    Really looking forward to it come rain or shine. I'll post up some pics next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
  11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hopefully! Will try hit some of the routes posted here

12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    Bang smack in the middle. We explored a little to the north on one day and then a little to the south the next.

Fabulous tour. We all thought Wales and all we met were great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #33 Cyborgbot, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    i should have been more specific on some of the hidden treasures we found.

this was, even thought only a few days, the best holiday I have had in decades.

Aside from the comments from someone that seems to advocate the extermination of foreigners, absolutely everyone was lovely. They couldn’t stop being nice and chatting. I think that is what Wales is about and not the activist minority.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    First stop just as we got into Wales, about 30 minutes before the hotel. Yesterday was a good days riding avoiding all motorways.
    I agree with you on people bing so nice, first time I came here as a school kid and again with family a few years ago, the Welsh don't see skin colour which I find so refreshing! (But let's try not to ruin this thread with politics, religion, race and being pc!)

20210917_162854.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    I’m missing Wales already.

More photos please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    UK
    I have long wanted to get round Wales on the bike, even got routes planned out, but it never seemed to happen. I wish you bonne route @Moe hope the weather holds. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I seem to recall a lot of bad publicity concerning Police in Wales deploying speed detection gear in things such as static trailers and the like, parked in lay bys?
    Maybe this is old news and is hopefully no longer the case, however it might be worth bearing in mind.
    The huge number of fantastic roads in Wales can easily lead to more right hand action than is the norm!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Today's ride about 170 miles, bit of a saw butt after today. But in all a good day.

IMG_20210918_174513014.jpg

IMG_20210918_174520187.jpg

IMG_20210918_174527276.jpg

Screenshot_20210918-174101_Maps.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Not many police about but just be sensible 30=30 40=40 50=50 national=?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Elite Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey