Lockdown Fever Antidotes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Smilinjack, Jan 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

If l didn't have Triumphs Kawasaki remains my favourite brand. Thanks for that, and keep spannering :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Used an IBM System 36 when I first started in IT and an ICL 1900 G3 system with exchangeable disks the size of small filing cabinet. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Now say after me, "Yer. Mawz. Got. Bawz."

That's it!

"Yermawzgotbawz!"

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141

Always promised myself one one of the big scale Tamiya kits (the Katana) if I smashed myself up. No lockdown for me unfortunately.

5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Sorry if I gave the impression that’s what I still do... I stopped in 1996

6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Honeywell H125 and H200 in 1969 - operator. As operators we had to be able to read, punch and correct 8 channel paper tape and punched cards (80 column?). Fun times!

• Like Like x 2
  7. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

That binary ticker tape was what we used too (20 odd year later) My son (who likes a bit of programming) was agog when I was describing the splicing and dicing fun we’d have with it

8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    #28 Hubaxe, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    As I started in IT in 1990, there was some punched card cartons still laying in the storage. By chance never had to use those.
    The guy at the time were allowed to compile a program only once a day :p

9. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    oh yes, that Tamiya Katana is really appealing.

10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Aaahh .... so you're also familiar with the 'unipunch' and the sticky silver correction tape? The manual card punch machine was even more fun requiring some manual dexterity for three finger combinations!

There was, though, some half decent 'totty' in the punch room - and miniskirts were still popular especially from the pov of the hairy-arsed, rebellious and raucous operations staff!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ah punched cards, lovely, not. And when you made a mistake you could wet your finger, pick up a tiny piece of "punched out card" and place it back in a hole. Just slightly wet with saliva, it would stay back in the hole and go through the card reader.
    Edit: I remember my boss sending messages on punched cards to the married woman he was having an affair with while she was in hospital. All clandestine stuff.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    The NC500 is on my list for 2021 as well. Got friends up there who've done part of it already so hopefully a road trip beckons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'm not ready for the big time yet. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

My Spitfire model should arrive today. Funny how things sort of develop from nowhere though-I've been watching Youtube and got really interested in the history and background of these aircraft. I look like ending up being an aviation enthusiast if I'm not careful! Ordered a couple more kits too, then of course it's paints etc, all the little side orders.........a ride out to see the Lancaster at Spilsby looks a must do when things come right again. :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    If you pick the right day the Lanc does a taxi run down the runway. Missed it in 2019 so I will be keeping an eye on when it’s on again.
    Some interesting stuff at Newark Air museum too, Vulcan being among the highlights and I particularly like the engine shed, some of those twin row radial engines have to be seen close up to be believed.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

#36 Smilinjack, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
    Yeah Newark is no more than 20 miles from me. The Lancaster taxi events are advertised and will be a must see for me this year, fingers crossed. What I didn't know is that you can actually ride in the Lanc while it does it's little tour. Only £380.00 :scream:

Apparently they also have one of my favourite ever aircraft-a Mosquito. As beautiful as they were deadly. Deffo ride out there. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I have an Airfix kit of the Hurricane tucked away in a cupboard, it comes complete with the necessary paints. Perhaps I'll get bored enough to make it soon. :D

• Like Like x 3
  18. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    I’ve a Tamiya Ducati 916 waiting for me to start but in the mean time I find tying these very relaxing, allied with the thoughts of better weather and the end of lockdown.

Oldfart

IMG_2056.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  19. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley

Wonderful model making skill and an insight on how a radial engine works.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

• Like Like x 1