Locating Led Resistors

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by andyb57, Feb 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I know that resistors get hot and therefore care has to be taken where they are located, ideally on something metal as a heat sink.
    However, presumably when used for turn signals the heat build up is a lot less compared with headlights, etc and therefore location of the resistors is less critical. If this is correct, any thoughts where best to put resistors behind the fairing of a Daytona 955i - there's a lot of plastic cowling, etc in there!

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Never tried that, but, Connect one up and see how hot it gets first you will be unhappy if they melt or distort some of that expensive plastic.

And bear in mind most of the time with your indicators on will be with the bike stationary so wind cooling will be negligible !

Why not fit a relay specifically for LED indicators and save the problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks, I'll have a look at the relay option. However, given I still view it as elektrickery may give you a hint about how that might go!

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    As Oldyam says get a led Flasher can/ relay, plug and play direct replacement
    Simples

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its usually only high current/high value resistors that get hot to any degree that's why they come with a heat sink, the ones you need for LEDs wont get that hot.

[​IMG]

7. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Thanks for the tip - so much easier than messing about with resistors! Why on Earth do 99% of the online articles promote resistors rather than changing the relay??
    FOR SALE 4 resistors, almost as new :joy: